War Game Construction Set

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Bntyhntr98
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

War Game Construction Set

Post by Bntyhntr98 »

I love your guys games and I love turn based strategy Period, I like modding games as well and putting my own spin on somthing a creater made or adding a unit i thought might be great for the setting that was created. I see the RPG maker on Steam and i see the potential for a war game to marry with that concept , give us a blank slate , let us create a Turn based war game of our own making through a canvas of your creating let us add any sprites make our own maps, Create grand campaigns , air , land sea, hell even space, let us explore planets and do different things have a world or universe at our fingertips , with a great engine to create it on.

Just a idea ;)
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: War Game Construction Set

Post by Cablenexus »

Hi,

I just see your post and I think the idea is great.

About a month ago, Aggressors: Ancient Rome is released and besides it is a very fun to play strategy game it offers the most flexible content editor I experienced so far.
The game is very open to modifications. You can simply alter all the graphics in the game, but also change the rules, 3D models, terrain and even write your own scripts.
Everything is XML based and you can change the complete look and feel of the game to your liking.

It includes a very easy to use map builder tool that converts every image into a ready to use map:

viewtopic.php?f=519&t=88109

Also you can read the dev diaries (the last 2 focus on modding):

viewtopic.php?f=519&t=87490
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Bntyhntr98 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 am I love your guys games and I love turn based strategy Period, I like modding games as well and putting my own spin on somthing a creater made or adding a unit i thought might be great for the setting that was created. I see the RPG maker on Steam and i see the potential for a war game to marry with that concept , give us a blank slate , let us create a Turn based war game of our own making through a canvas of your creating let us add any sprites make our own maps, Create grand campaigns , air , land sea, hell even space, let us explore planets and do different things have a world or universe at our fingertips , with a great engine to create it on.

Just a idea ;)

Battle Academy and anything based of the STUB you kinda already do that with the editor. But I get what your poking, and It would be really cool to see a Savage Worlds or GURPS of strategy games.
wandererboy
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by wandererboy »

Bntyhntr98 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 am I love your guys games and I love turn based strategy Period, I like modding games as well and putting my own spin on somthing a creater made or adding a unit i thought might be great for the setting that was created. I see the RPG maker on Steam and i see the potential for a war game to marry with that concept , give us a blank slate , let us create a Turn based war game of our own making through a canvas of your creating let us add any sprites make our own maps, Create grand campaigns , air , land sea, hell even space, let us explore planets and do different things have a world or universe at our fingertips , with a great engine to create it on.

Fm whatsapp Download

Just a idea ;)
Is this still available in 2022?
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

An RPG maker seems easier to do than a Wargame maker.
jeannot le lapin

Even with this kind of software, to create a new wargame will take a lot of time... It is easier to use an Editor already included in a wargame to create new scenario.
jeannot le lapin

For another type of game :

Adventure Game Studio (AGS) provides the tools to make your own adventure, for free! Bring your story and artwork and slot it in, and let AGS do the rest.

AGS provides everything you need from within one easy-to-use application. Create, test and debug your game, all in one place. Why wait? Get cracking on your first game now!
CSO_Talorgan
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Bntyhntr98 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 amI love your guys games and I love turn based strategy Period, I like modding games as well and putting my own spin on somthing a creater made or adding a unit i thought might be great for the setting that was created. I see the RPG maker on Steam and i see the potential for a war game to marry with that concept , give us a blank slate , let us create a Turn based war game of our own making through a canvas of your creating let us add any sprites make our own maps, Create grand campaigns , air , land sea, hell even space, let us explore planets and do different things have a world or universe at our fingertips , with a great engine to create it on.
Are you thinking hex and counter?
Bntyhntr98
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Bntyhntr98 »

There was a old Dos Game back in the day called wargame construction set it let you create games Kinda Like The Perfect General and the Perfect General 2, Hex style turn based games with sprites for the tanks and men , I was kinda shooting for that direction.

Give us the ability to create maps kinda like what Master of Magic has , and Gladius Relics of War, give us the ability to mod and add sprites of any type that go into that , so for example some one could take a Star Wars graphic of a trooper make a squad with it and create his own war game have 40k vs. Star Wars.

I dont know if this kinda game would be illeagal or break some law but here is the thought imagin being able to have the dream conflict on a turn based set up, we could have 40k , Star Wars, Warmachine, WW2, Modern Warfare, all vs. each other if the player was so inclined to create the sprites, heck even add in Front Mission, Gundam, Super Robot wars, Robotech, i mean your imagination at the point is the limit of what you could create all we need is a canvas.
ernieschwitz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ernieschwitz »

Have you tried Advanced Tactics Gold? I know it is a bit dated now when it comes to GUI and such, but you can create almost anything in it, with its scenario editor. Matrix sells it, and it is on Steam too.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

A properly done Wargame Construction Kit would of course be against the interest of any developer nowadays since it would provide the user with enough content to not care about anything else published for quite some time. So no clever developer would release anything like it for fear of losing the opportunity to sell the user anything else because that user is too happily occupied with the construction kit. A thing that is just not really desirable anymore. ;)
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
matrine

Post by matrine »

Yeah, fabulous idea, it will be worked enough,

Return to “Game Ideas”