WW2 Squad Battles from beginning to End...ala X-Com

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

WW2 Squad Battles from beginning to End...ala X-Com

Post by Igorputski »

A game where you select a group of men for your squad (based on the nation you choose to play) from 6 men up to 12 total units (tanks, artillery mortars, machine guns etc. etc) and go throughout the war from the start to the end in random missions and campaigns like in Steel Panthers. But, using the X-com engine for combat. You'll get a reinforcement pool for each mission based on size and turns with more selections for men and equipment like planes and offboard artillery and such. It'll have all the neat graphics and terrain of the area of the mission. Cover spots like X-Com with 1/2 and full cover. The game would be called just "COMBAT" after the tv show staring VIc Morrow. If it's possible have random maps generated instead of static same ones just turned in different directions like Panzer Command Osfront. You'll be able to name your men and/or women (for Russians). They shouldn't be so generic like X-com though and really have a personality and voice acting if possible. You'll be able to research better equipment and vehicles within the parameters of WW2 and recruits will get experience and promotions though promotions should be hard to get not just give it to them on a silver platter like X-Com does. You'll get lots of recruits (rookies) to choose from just like in X-com. You won't have to pay for them though, they will be randomly drafted each turn or month or however you want to do it. The main medic can carry 6 medi kits and each other character 1 sustaining kit but not a full blown medi kit. You'll see each unit decked out in the gear you gave them and they will change looks based on what you give them. Like if it's winter they will have winter clothing etc. etc. Units should have nationalities and the voice and the clothing should match. Like the British attire for the desert (kickers (shorts) and knee high bobby socks lol)
Ardire
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: WW2 Squad Battles from beginning to End...ala X-Com

Post by Ardire »

Yes! Silent Storm did this, I'd love a better non-scifi ww2 squad management game!
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

I like the design of X-Com. I think as a specifically WW2 concept with no weirdness it might not be so bad.

I've seen plenty of games try to do this type of style/setting, and not always with any real success.
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
Gface
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Gface »

That concept is awesome...For me, that would be the PERFECT WWII strategy game....Sgt. Saunders, Lt. Hanley, Doc, Little John, Caje and Kirby...Ahhhh, just the thought of it....
jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by jeff00t »

Very good idea. Why such a game doesn ´t exist? Cyberpunk 2077 will be like x-com but another futurist game.... in ww2 period, it could be so awesome .
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Commandos series in the new version (can be based on XCom, I have nothing against it)
I play now the first part of Commandos game from 1998 - ok, bad graphics, mechanic limps sometimes, there are a few absurdities but playability is amazing, that even the best games here don't have such playability :wink:
apkdodo2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by apkdodo2 »

I didn't knew about this game but it sounds good. I'll try it for sure Thanks for the discovery!
kowloon

Post by kowloon »

I remember there being games where you controlled a stick of paratroops (I think they made a 101st and an 82nd game). I also remember at least one other isometric game set in ww2 that didn't involve any sci-fi elements, but it must be 20 years ago I played them.

Return to “Game Ideas”