Steel Panthers MBT

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Steel Panthers MBT

Post by MikeAP »

I have a fantastic idea for a game.

Remake Steel Panthers.

:D
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Steel Panthers MBT

Post by VPaulus »

:lol:

Gary Grisby and his wish list for future titles:
The Future: War in the … and beyond
• War in the East 2.0 - a remake of War in the East using the War in the West engine and new map system (another building block foe the mega game).
• War in the West 1940 (France/Norway/Med)
• War in the West 1941-43 (Mediterranean)
• War in Europe - the largest game ever conceived!
• World at War: A World Divided – iPad
• Tactical WWII game ala Steel Panthers - Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career.
There's hope. :)
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Gary Grisby owns the rights to SBP?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

MikeAP wrote:Gary Grisby owns the rights to SBP?
Don't really know about that. But he's surely The One which is capable of making a new SPB.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Erik Rutins replied this in Matrix forum: :)
It's going to happen, but we can't put a timeline on it yet.

I'm as excited as you all are.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3377904
bobk
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by bobk »

Ugg, please don't remake it in a top down view. If you are going to bring it up to date, how about an isometric view, like the Talonsoft Battleground games. Destructable terrain, the same great editor, but a streamlined combat system to speed things up.
One thing I hated about the original was moving every single unit, and all the reaction fire. Need to be on an deserted island to be able to finish a large scenario. Don't get me wrong, I like the complexity, and hate anything realtime, but the system needs modernized.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

bobk wrote:Ugg, please don't remake it in a top down view. If you are going to bring it up to date, how about an isometric view, like the Talonsoft Battleground games. Destructable terrain, the same great editor, but a streamlined combat system to speed things up.
One thing I hated about the original was moving every single unit, and all the reaction fire. Need to be on an deserted island to be able to finish a large scenario. Don't get me wrong, I like the complexity, and hate anything realtime, but the system needs modernized.
Agreed on all points.

I really like the Battle Academy rules. 2 fires, 2 react fires. This prevents turns from being 30 minutes.
bobk

Post by bobk »

Hey Mike, great minds think alike I guess :-)
Battle academy does zip right along, and looks good too, but it seems kind of easy to me. Not that I am a great player, and my opinion is based on the demo only. My experience was; you move several units up, bad guy pops up and fires, you shoot 2 or 3 x's, he is suppressed, then you move another unit in and destroy him, all in one turn. Seemed impossible to put up any kind of decent defense.
I did enjoy Company of Heroes, but I had to constantly pause it to keep up. My perfect game would be the graphics of COH or those Air Land battle games, with the play system of the Combat Mission series.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

bobk wrote:Hey Mike, great minds think alike I guess :-)
Battle academy does zip right along, and looks good too, but it seems kind of easy to me. Not that I am a great player, and my opinion is based on the demo only. My experience was; you move several units up, bad guy pops up and fires, you shoot 2 or 3 x's, he is suppressed, then you move another unit in and destroy him, all in one turn. Seemed impossible to put up any kind of decent defense.
I did enjoy Company of Heroes, but I had to constantly pause it to keep up. My perfect game would be the graphics of COH or those Air Land battle games, with the play system of the Combat Mission series.
Your tactic works well provided you have more men than the defenders, that they don't stay hidden in ambush, and that they don't kill your units when they first fire :)

Generally flanking and using the correct units in cover are the decisive tactics.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
bobk

Post by bobk »

Quite! Purchased the iOS bundle of BA during the Easter sale, really enjoying it on the iPad. Guess you can't judge a game (completely) from a demo.
Strider
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Strider »

Last word on this was back in 2013.

Is it still on GG's list? Any news?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Lets just say he isn't working on any other games on that list :)
Strider
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Strider »

I don't know what to say.... wow :D

I don't think I'll be alone in that feeling either.

That original game saw more of my time than any other computer game I have played.

Thanks Iain
Strider
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Strider »

Iain,

The Matrixgames site has crashed (shortly after your teaser reply...).

That's too much of a coincidence surely..... :D
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

I'll likely find a husband before Gary gets around to re inventing Steel Panthers :)

Oh well, I was wrong about World in Flames, they actually finally put it on sale. Not saying I'm in love with it totally though.

I don't want a game called Steel Panthers and yet really not the same thing. I want something that looks 'exactly' like Steel Panthers yet installs and runs on a current computer without needing to beg a geek to fix it so it actually runs correctly. I try not to bug my son for too many rescues.
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com

Return to “Game Ideas”