Potential Dates for 'Way of The Warriors' 2017

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

madlemmey
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Potential Dates for 'Way of The Warriors' 2017

Post by madlemmey »

Just a word of warning for anyone coming Oxford way:
Tour d'Vale Cycle Race is on in and around Aylesbury!
Zanoni
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Zanoni »

Just a quick question- are we using the same rule changes as at Oxford?

Cheers,

Geoff
madlemmey

Post by madlemmey »

Yes.
madlemmey

Way Of The Warriors -cancellation.

Post by madlemmey »

Dear all,
Unfortunately, due to having to move my daughter's birthday party, it is with sincere and profound regret that I am going to have to cancel 'Way Of The Warriors' on its present date this year.
My apologies, but 5 year-olds birthday parties have priority.
I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused and the short notice.
Will
madlemmey

Post by madlemmey »

The Warriors may be reborn in Oxford, see your emails folks!
Will
(Relieved)
benjones1211
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by benjones1211 »

If we are going to do this we will need quick replies. There may also be limited space as we will need to leave tables for club members so it may be first come first served.

Will: Please could you post here the full list of people you were expecting, so we can check everyone off.

So far I have coming to Oxford (if we can hold it)

Tom Elsworth
Ben Jones
Ray Boyles
Kieth Spedding
Brendon Morrissey
Patrick Morrissey

So if there is anyone else please let us know ASAP, also if any of the above are wrong let me know.

definitely not coming (no idea if on original list again if this list is wrong let me know)
Will Denham
Nigel Emsen
Tamsin Piper
Paul Kitcher
Dave Hutchby

If we go ahead army lists to ben at benedictjones.plus.com
madlemmey

Post by madlemmey »

Sent to Tom last night.
benjones1211

Post by benjones1211 »

Way of warriors 2017 results

Ben Jones Aztec 50
Kieth Spedding Inca 48
Tom Elsworth Japanese 45
Brendan Morrissey Rajput Indian 38
Ray Boyles Buccaneer 20
Patrick Morrissey Eastern Woodland Indian 9

Going into the last round Keith and Ben where well ahead, and lined up to fight Inca on Aztec

With 30 minutes to go after lots of carnage, a count up just before the melee phase
Aztecs lost 11 out of 12
Inca lost 12 out of 15

So anything could happen

First combat was 6 Superior Aztecs against 2 (from 4)fragmented Superior Bow Sword Inca, Lost big and routed, first blood to Aztecs
Second combat 2 Spanish Elite Horse against 4 Fragmented average Aztec foot, Aztecs lost big and routed, so there goes the Aztec army
Third combat 6 Elite Aztec foot against 6 average Inca foot (lt spear, sword), Inca lost big, Disrupt (yes this is very important)
Fourth and last combat, 6 Superior Aztec foot against 7 Fragmented Inca Spear foot, lost and routed, another Inca loss. Unit to rear (fighting Elite Aztecs pass test, Inca rout past, but Aztecs go into their flank, quick look in the rules, although the combat would be in the next impact phase the unit drops on contact, therefore a third point for the Aztecs and the Inca army breaks. Mutual destruction, for both players a first.

Sums up the whole day!!
RonanTheLibrarian

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

A thoroughly splendid day's gaming, thanks to Ben and Tom for organising it at the last moment, and to my opponents Tom (who deserved better than 10-10), Keith (whose dice deserted him for 2-3 turns, making it a closer game than the eventual 19-6 suggests, but still a deserved winner) and Ray (whose dice deserted him for pretty much the entire game, to the point where his 10-unit army autobroke with what would have been the last roll of the game regardless). Patrick also asked me to tell you what a great day he had, and that he wasn't at all upset at three defeats - perhaps Iroquois isn't the right army for a novice player - but it's not often a player finishing bottom has played all his games against the podium placers!

Funnily enough, whilst Ben and Keith were deciding the fortunes of South America, Ray and I were reminiscing (as boring old farts like us are prone to do) about my first ever meeting with Ray, in Game 4 of the BHGS Doubles at Abingdon in 2014, which was also my first ever wargames competition with any rules. My partner and I had 1690 Bavarians, they had Buccaneers, and the "final phase" was shooting; the pirates autobroke after we shot a third base off a six-pack and that would have been the only shooting (everyone else still standing was in melee) and hence we would have won.....except..... Except losing that base uncovered one of the pirates' two field guns (the other was still masked), which was able to fire at our shooting unit, which as luck would have it, was also one base from autobreaking (this was in the bad old good old days when average only had to lose three bases to break). The solitary die was rolled and, as luck would have it scored an equally solitary hit. No problem I said to my partner - who I should point out at this juncture was the guy previously known as the worst dice-roller in the whole of Wessex Wargames Society prior to me joining - just don't roll a '1'. At which point, he rolled a '1'. Mutual destruction with what would - in any circumstances - have been the last roll of the game. The 10-10 draw meant we came last out of 12 teams, instead of a very respectable (especially given the amount of average DH we had) 7th, it was that close (well, it was in the bottom half - Alasdair Harley was playing so the title was won by Game 2).

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the next SL round at Southampton on 24th September (and possibly the two days at Devizes before that).
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
madlemmey

Post by madlemmey »

So glad it all went well. :D
RonanTheLibrarian

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

I think next year, your daughter and her mates should enter the competition, and have that as her party. You have a year to prepare......
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"

Return to “Tournaments ”