Finally getting a chance to play a game!

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Loo0ks good. If it was March Break I'd offer to drive to that place near Ottawa. :wink:
shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote:Loo0ks good. If it was March Break I'd offer to drive to that place near Ottawa. :wink:
Well, let's see. I might be up to running a play-by-email-or-slitherine-forum campaign with you and dead being opposing commanders. :shock:
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Actually...
If you are interested in trying, we could see if it would work through Battle Chronicler. Die rolls could be on honour or through some die server. Think on it. Let me know.

http://www.battlechronicler.com/
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote:Actually...
If you are interested in trying, we could see if it would work through Battle Chronicler. Die rolls could be on honour or through some die server. Think on it. Let me know.

That's an idea.

I was thinking that you and dead submit campaign moves to me. I tell you if there's a battle. You two play out the major battles and I play out the minor ones.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

k...think on it...see what we can come up with

Maybe set up the game here and there...as long as we were careful with measuring moves, it might work....pass moves and rolls through email...hmm...i'll think in it
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Pass Clearance scenario revisited turns 5 to 7

Turn 5: One of the Royalist detached shot BG routs panicking the neighbouring BG, but there is some disorder in the Parliamentarian ranks. The big 8-base Royalist Red regiment to the right of the guns takes some serious damage - down 3 bases in the picture below.

Turn 6: The Royalist position continues to weaken. The Red Regiment is destroyed. The commanded shot in the woods falls to fragmented. The Royalist dragoons (in green and on the far right) had hoped to take advantage of the disordered Parliamentarian dragoons (in Red) opposite them but promptly fell to fragmented after the impact and melee rounds.

Turn 7: On their left, the Royalist cavaliers and commanded shot destroy the Parliamentarian regiment and are in a position to sweep down on the right flank of the Parliamentarian army. On the Royalist right flank some things go their way as the Parliamentarian detached shot holding the right wing of their position in the woods is destroyed but the Green dragoons the Blue regiment to the left of the guns are destroyed. Still their cavaliers arrive to exploit the Parliamentarian gap while the Parliamentarian Red regiment that had moved up to support the now destroyed detached shot BG is looking a little exposed.

Last edited by shadowdragon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote:k...think on it...see what we can come up with

Maybe set up the game here and there...as long as we were careful with measuring moves, it might work....pass moves and rolls through email...hmm...i'll think in it
Oh that could be funny. Could end up being two completely different games. :lol:
Last edited by shadowdragon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

:)

Going up into those woods on the Royalist right is tough! I think I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the flanks will never collapse in time for my horse to turn in and aid my centre. From now on it is punch in the centre and tangle him up on the flanks!!
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Pass Clearance Scenario revisited - Turns 8-10

Turn 8 - Having destroyed the Parliamentarian foot on their extreme right, the Royalist left wing sweeps forward - 2 regiments of Cavaliers and some commanded shot fall on a single Parliamentarian Horse regiment and some detached shot. In the centre, the Royalist Green regiment charges the Parliamentarian Red regiment who are already down a couple of bases. However, the Parliamentarian reserve regiment behind the woods has halted the Royalist advance through the woods.

Turn 9 - Royalist left wing attack sputters to a halt as one regiment of cavaliers is fragmented and the other is disrupted. The Royalist Green regiment destroys the Parliamentarian Red regiment, but the Parliamentarian centre still looks strong with a big Blue regiment supporting their field artillery and a Horse regiment arriving to provide some support. In the woods, the Royalist attack also falters as cavalier horses have their saddles emptied.

Turn 10 - It had come close, but it was not to be a Royalist victory. Regiments of Cavaliers break on both flanks along with some commanded shot on the left wing - bringing the Royalist army to 14 attrition points for 7 BG lost (2 BG of cavaliers, 2 BG of pike and shot, 1 BG of dragoons, 1 BG of detached shot and 1 BG of commanded shot). Parliamentarian loses were 6 attrition points for 3 BG lost (2 pike and shot BG, 1 detached shot BG). However, there was a point in turn 7 & 8 when it could have tipped the other way. The number bases lost were 30 Royalist and 20 Parliamentarian.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote::)

Going up into those woods on the Royalist right is tough! I think I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the flanks will never collapse in time for my horse to turn in and aid my centre. From now on it is punch in the centre and tangle him up on the flanks!!
Funnily enough I think the Royalist problem here was their centre got too far ahead of their left flank. If they (ha! me) had coordinated their left flank attack with their Blue regiment to the left of the centre it might have been different....but, then again, who's to know the Blue Royalist regiment will implode followed by the Yellow-Orange Parliamentarian regiment.

By the way, I think I lost track and didn't record one turn between "turn 6" and "turn 7" as the Yellow-Orange regiment could not have been shot apart in one turn (i.e., one Royalist and one Parliamentarian). So I think turns 7+ should all be one higher (i.e., turns 8 to 11).

It's a tough scenario for the Royalists they lose if they don't defeat (rout) the Parliamentarians in 12 pairs of turns.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote:k...think on it...see what we can come up with

I have to really think about it as time is a bug-bear as I'm sure it is for many. I had hoped to play this week's games in early December!

Might be easier to make a one day break-away from work for HotLead! :lol: ...er, once I find out that the Vancouver workshop isn't scheduled for that week.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

see how it goes!!
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I have 2 weeks March Break when it gets here. Could always zip that way for a day too.
bertalucci
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bertalucci »

Blathergut wrote:Actually...

Check out Cyberboard - free software download.
Designed for board gamers really but I suspect easily adapted - I managed to do it for a Kingmmaker type WoR game.
Just about everything is capable of being defined individually and it includes a dice roller.
So by adding Battle Chronicler and Cyberboard together you have the ideal solution for etheral warfare across the globe.

There are limited instructions so it takes time to sort out quite what you have to do
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Shadowdragon - how are you loading the photo? What are you using for the annotation?
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote:I have 2 weeks March Break when it gets here. Could always zip that way for a day too.
A possibility.

But "2 weeks March Break"???? :shock: You must be in academia as well as foot loose and fancy free!

I'm expecting that 12-20 March will be out, but plans haven't been finalized yet.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

timmy1 wrote:Shadowdragon - how are you loading the photo? What are you using for the annotation?
I think there is a sticky in FoG:AM about loading photos. My photos are in photobucket. They provide several linking options. I copy the IMG code option and then paste that into the post. It will look something like [IMG]http://"file path and name" .

As for the annotation, I use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo, but I expect that most decent photo editing software provides a text annotation option. The Samsung Master program that came with my camera offers text annotation as well.

Hope that was useful and what you were after.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Blathergut wrote:I have 2 weeks March Break when it gets here. Could always zip that way for a day too.
Probably also makes more sense than a virtual game. There are on-line digital games but I've decided to go with the real life miniature form. In particular I have an obsession to paint up the pile of lead before my eyesight fails due to old age....which is uncomfortably close....and, if you're young....closer than you think (for sure). :(

I'm not doing to bad 67% painted (7,000 plus), 30% in a pile and the remainder "to be purchased"....as long as I don't succumb to temptations to, oh say, build an Italian Ostrogothic or Carolingian army.
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Perfect. Thanks

Return to “After Action Reports (AAR's)”