Command and Control - General

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Shamus2d6
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Command and Control - General

Post by Shamus2d6 »

A second non solo outing with the rules today saw a smoother playing game there are many aspects to these rules we are already appreciating. Two Keils steam rollering through fire arm units that were not getting the hits needed to pick off their bases. The arquebus medium infantry held their ground despite losing every close combat but eventually one of them gave way causing tests on four other units which all failed, one of which was fragmented and then routed through fresh reserves. For quite awhile nothing seemed to give and then everything did. The situation described big pike blocks that are hard to break down bringing their weight to bear and then wallop in one turn and it was over.

However some of the logic around command my partner and I did not get. Any design thoughts on why the command rules are as they are would be appreciated.

I recognise the benefits of a battle group being in command range of its leader as it potentially can be bolstered and be able to benefit from being in a Division and carry out 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd move if mounted. It can also benefit from a leader being in its front line for quality re-rolls. The way we are understanding the rules is that units out of command range can still move freely albeit don't have these benefits. This felt a bit flexible. Do we have this right and if so what was the design logic for doing this. I play a lot of GMT boardgames where divisional groups or wings have command values and ranges and out of command units for example move last. DBA also simulate with a command die roll.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Command and Control - General

Post by nikgaukroger »

You have it right.

Command range also affects the commander's CMT bonus - as it needs an 8 to pass on 2 dice can be a material factor. Also bolstering troops in combat requires the commander to be with them. As the game progresses you have decisions to make as to where your commander goes to affect troops in various ways.

The logic is, essentially, that the combined effect of the various ways that a commander can affect troops gets the desired command effect without having to have set commands (other than allies).
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
Shamus2d6

Re: Command and Control - General

Post by Shamus2d6 »

Thanks again Nik, this all helps. I just need to figure out how to be able to deploy these Leader capabilities effectively. My gaming partner was looking to purchase a set of rules but the current cost of what I believe are the few remaining are being sold at ridiculous prices; I think I have the last reasonably priced set of rules from Caliver. If there is news on reprint or even PDF can you let us know? Cheers..

Return to “Rules Questions”