Diagram on page 96 is wrong?

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Diagram on page 96 is wrong?

Post by ravenflight »

Hi All,

Just looking over the rules in preparation for CanCon, and something struck me. The top diagram on p96 appears to not comply with the wording on p95.

On p95 the rule specifically says "pivot and/or slide by the minimum necessary to conform to the enemy bases IN CONTACT"

Well, the pike bases are NOT in contact. Therefore, wouldn't the mounted slide the other direction?
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Diagram on page 96 is wrong?

Post by kevinj »

I can see why it looks not to comply but the wording on P95 has other qualifiers than conforming to the base in contact, i.e. you must pivot/slide by the minimum possible. So, in the example, the horse will align their base fronts to the foot and then slide by the shorter amount which looks to be to the right (their left) in the diagram. Both bases are then in either front edge or corner to corner contact with the original base that they contacted. The wording on P95 does not preclude being in contact with additional bases following the move.

If the initial contact had been further to the left of the foot BG the shorter slide would have been the other way, leaving only the end bases in contact after conforming.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

kevinj wrote:I can see why it looks not to comply but the wording on P95 has other qualifiers than conforming to the base in contact, i.e. you must pivot/slide by the minimum possible. So, in the example, the horse will align their base fronts to the foot and then slide by the shorter amount which looks to be to the right (their left) in the diagram. Both bases are then in either front edge or corner to corner contact with the original base that they contacted. The wording on P95 does not preclude being in contact with additional bases following the move.

If the initial contact had been further to the left of the foot BG the shorter slide would have been the other way, leaving only the end bases in contact after conforming.
Yeah, the minimum possible 'of the bases in contact', not the minimum possible 'and bring new bases into contact'
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

My point remains that the rules do not preclude bringing additional bases into contact.

In most cases the point would be moot because even if the mounted conformed by sliding the other way, both sides have the option to feed in bases/slide after conforming. As the mounted charger, if you wanted to force the foot to make the move, you will probably have an option to wheel and make the impact such that the slide would go the other way.

Return to “Rules Questions”