Artillery moving through FF

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Vespasian28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Artillery moving through FF

Post by Vespasian28 »

Had a situation come up in a game yesterday where a heavy artillery battery deployed a distance behind some friendly field fortifications(but not actually defended by them) needed to wheel to bring a target into arc.

Can the arillery having passed a CMT to wheel 1" move partly over the FF marker? it is not defended and the rules say undefended FF do not impede the movement of troops sufficiently to be represented.
Not sure about this as one would think FF could be ditches, earthbanks etc so I decided not to do the move and ask here instead.
RonanTheLibrarian

Re: Artillery moving through FF

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

I'm pretty sure one side faced that problem in a previous game involving you and me at the Club, earlier this year (can't recall who we were playing or what we were using). I think we agreed that guns couldn't wheel if they were too close to the rear of a friendly field fortification to actually move any further forward. In real life, of course, such a problem would be overcome by pivoting backwards (ie away from the defences) rather than forwards, but I don't think the rules allow this (or do they?). At the time, we agreed the defences blocked any further forward movement by the guns and they were stuck in whatever direction they were facing.
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
Vespasian28

Post by Vespasian28 »

I forgot about that but at least I came up with the same answer again (i.e no) but nice to get it checked by the great and worthy.
Pretty certain though that you can't pivot backwards as it only offers the option to "pivot forwards" in the rules.
IanP
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by IanP »

Agreed, no pivoting backwards if I recall correctly, but logically should be allowed (for artillery). One of those minor points that have bugged me from the start.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

IanP wrote:Agreed, no pivoting backwards if I recall correctly, but logically should be allowed (for artillery). One of those minor points that have bugged me from the start.
Agreed. I think there are a few things in the rules that really could do with tidying up, but given the overall it's not a bad set of rules.

Return to “Rules Questions”