Intercept Charge

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Intercept Charge

Post by titanu »

The cavalry beside the pen are charging straight ahead ( see the nice white line). They have a unit of friendly bowmen beside them. The charge is against the green Burmese Mon spearmen. The jolly lads with red/yellow helmets want to intercept. See the grid line they move along, so they can intercept without a problem.

But the other chap wants to contact the bowmen as well as a bonus. He uses the argument that it is an 'interception CHARGE' and hence he can hit anybody to their front so long as it is ALSO an intercept (which indeed it was). I have already posted this on the AM forum but wanted to check it is no different in FoGR.
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Intercept Charge

Post by daveallen »

No difference in FoGR - the only interception that is able to charge into contact with enemy is one that can make a flank charge on the on the original chargers (ie those being "intercepted"). Otherwise they stop short of the enemy and wait to be contacted by the chargers.

Simples
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »

daveallen wrote:No difference in FoGR - the only interception that is able to charge into contact with enemy is one that can make a flank charge on the on the original chargers (ie those being "intercepted"). Otherwise they stop short of the enemy and wait to be contacted by the chargers.

Simples
I have played it the way you describe for ages BUT it is trying to find something in the rules that stops it. The rule say you cannot contact the charges but not that you cannot contact anybody else. So he has moved into the charge path and by coincidence also contacted another enemy. There has been a lot of huffing and puffing on the AM forum but without any definitive rule only by implication.

Not so simples :shock:
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

I think the use of the term "intercept charge" causes confusion, but we need to stick to the principle that the rules say what you can do, and not what you can't. The rules on intercepts state that you can:

Move into the chargers' path or
Contact their flank or rear if you start from a position where you can make a legal flank/rear charge. This is the only circumstance where an interception is described as being treated as a normal charge, and in this instance the initial contact must be with the original chargers only.

No other contacts by the interceptors are covered by this rule, therefore none are permitted.
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »

Thanks

Return to “Rules Questions”