Merr...QuickBattles! (solo & multiplayer) ... v1.12

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

iandavidsmith wrote: Great work , many thanks.
Ian
Quite welcome Ian.

I wish there was more UK equipment to add ... As posted, includes ;

- Stuart V.
- Sherman IB.
- Sherman II.
- Priest (M7) ... reskin to Brit colors.
- Daimler ... Added from the Arnhem campaign.

I changed the Sherman II skin so it's like the Sherman IB ... the other skin looked like a dirty North African variety.

Merr
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

schenker wrote:Very nice!
Thank you for all your hard work, Herr Merr! :D
Quite welcome Herr Schenker !

I have a German Player version finished (Single Player) ... I need to balance it ...

The German equipment is superior (armor/gun) and , for the moment, I need to balance the force size. Also, I will reduce the chance that the German Player has air/artillery support. There will stilll be a chance, but very small. I don't want to exclude it all together because a lone FW190 or ME262 might happen upon the battle and provide a strafing run. With artillery, I understood it was mostly horse drawn at this point, so it was a matter of getting it into position in a timely matter to join the fight.

Once I begin to create/include more AI routines then I should be able to give the German player their strength back!

Merr
schenker
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by schenker »

Merr wrote:
Quite welcome Herr Schenker !

I have a German Player version finished (Single Player) ... I need to balance it ...

The German equipment is superior (armor/gun) and , for the moment, I need to balance the force size. Also, I will reduce the chance that the German Player has air/artillery support. There will stilll be a chance, but very small. I don't want to exclude it all together because a lone FW190 or ME262 might happen upon the battle and provide a strafing run. With artillery, I understood it was mostly horse drawn at this point, so it was a matter of getting it into position in a timely matter to join the fight.

Once I begin to create/include more AI routines then I should be able to give the German player their strength back!

Merr

It is great news :)

Cheers
djddalton
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by djddalton »

Fantastic work Merr...your scenarios are seriously adding to the replayability of BA!

The generated maps are really convincing, unique and present all sorts of opportunities and hazards.

Played a few of the solo missions and gonna try MP now...I hope slitherine post these up for other players to find!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

As soon as Merr is happy, we will put them on the content download system, or even maybe just include them in an update - with his permission of course :).

Cheers

Pip
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

djddalton wrote:Fantastic work Merr...your scenarios are seriously adding to the replayability of BA!

The generated maps are really convincing, unique and present all sorts of opportunities and hazards.
Major credit goes to Amaris and his Random Map script ... :D
Without it, we'd be stuck with my symetrical box of chocolates, which are concepts mostly.
djddalton wrote:Played a few of the solo missions and gonna try MP now...I hope slitherine post these up for other players to find!
As you probably have read, the Solo scenario's are a cake walk. I'm planning on taking Gerneral Pip's aggressive plugin orders and adding additional orders for the AI teams. I want to get the other theater variants out with updated VP code.

Send me a PM (with a password) if you want to play some MP scenarios. Currently, I'm playing a small scenario with random27, and it's made me look at the MP balance a little deeper. The Panther tank (in the hands of a human player) is, by itself, a powerful unit and can ruin the balance. I'm thinking of alternatives (Allied reinforcements?) ... I need more feedback on the MP versions.

Merr
djddalton
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by djddalton »

Merr wrote:As you probably have read, the Solo scenario's are a cake walk.
Merr
I've had a few tough river crossings (squeezing my tanks through a small space on a single river) which has been quite fun...but yeah the AI units are sometimes quite docile!

Still having that problem with taking the flags though, sometimes I think it occurs when an enemy unit takes a flag, and then no more flags can be captured by either side. May have to send you a screenshot/further observations...
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

djddalton wrote:I've had a few tough river crossings (squeezing my tanks through a small space on a single river) which has been quite fun...but yeah the AI units are sometimes quite docile!
Yeah ... the river crossings bump the difficulty up a notch!

Thanks for you comments ... I need comments/ideas to proceed for future variations. Eventually, I want to do a cool big-river-crossing. I actually took the rowboat from the MG module and made it mobile ... 8) ... All I need to do is train a few guinea pigs to row, and train the fat one to say "Row" (from the Geico commericial) ... :lol:
djddalton wrote:Still having that problem with taking the flags though, sometimes I think it occurs when an enemy unit takes a flag, and then no more flags can be captured by either side. May have to send you a screenshot/further observations...
Ok ... Your problem from the "Merr_Skirmish" helped me update the QuickBattles, and I updated the VP placement with the German(player) version (v1.1).

The VP logic for SOLO is using the Plugin logic but the VP placement should work (i've never seen your problem).
The VP logic for MP is cut/pasted from a working MP (slith) scenario and that works too.

When you play MP, let me know if you see this problem. Eventually I want to stop using the Plugin because I want to modify the AI logic that uses the plugin and it has to be split off from the plugin and the plugin turned off.

I'm going to to upload the German(player) version tonight ... I wanted to add more but I can do that for version 1.2 later on.

When you play the German(player) SOLO, tell me if you still have VP problems.

Also, I'll update the other versions (solo/mp) to v1.1 and we'll see if that solves it.

Thanks,
-Rob
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

wrt the Geico Commercial ... for those outside the US ... The YouTube link :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU6hmgTY76M

:lol:
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

German (player) vs US (AI) ... SOLO ... version 1.1

Changes ... from v1.0 SOLO
(1) Force Balance ... more Allied, less German.
(2) German Support ... artillery/air support chance lowered (medium/large scenario), still checks per/turn.
(3) VP Placement ... better VP logic placement to eliminate errors.

Can download here or see 1st post ...

:arrow: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20964568 ... E_v1.1.zip

Unzip SOLO version to ... \Documents\My Games\BBCBA\CAMPAIGNS

-----

Enjoy!
drjeff21
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by drjeff21 »

These are great scenarios. I very much appreciate the skill and hard work that went into creating them.
JMass
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by JMass »

Merr, thanks for your QB! I modified MP versions to include 8rads and captured French R35 and S35 to the German OOB and I am testing them.
My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1
Roma Victrix!
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

JMass wrote:Merr, thanks for your QB! I modified MP versions to include 8rads and captured French R35 and S35 to the German OOB and I am testing them.
Cool .... BlitzKreig is on my list for a QB.

I have v1.2 of the battles, plus the NA version, which, with your extra models can wait till you are done.

AT the moment, I'm going over AI changes but it's alot of trial/error to get it to behave properly!
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

drjeff21 wrote:These are great scenarios. I very much appreciate the skill and hard work that went into creating them.
Thanks dreff21 ... It's taken me over a year to figure out what's what with BA ... So much do to, so little time!
djddalton
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by djddalton »

Keep it up Merr, these scenarios are getting near perfect.

German forces might still be too strong (panthers are many, I've seen a few king tigers too...not easy to cope with!!!) will see within a few days whether or not I can take them ;)

Cheers,

Dom
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

UPDATE ... MP Quick Battles ... v1.12

Change from v1
(1) Added Hetzer.
(2) Added "Point Total" readout to UI for both sides (point balance, counts live and dead units).
(3) Fixed script in Medium and Large bsf ... missing ")" on a few functions, didn't appear to cause problems earlier.
(4) Ensured VP's worked correctly by writing extra checks in VP generation.
(5) Infantry Platoons are now ... 3x Squad, 1x Support (mg or rocket team). No change to Eng/Ranger or Eng/Waffen platoon generation.
(6) Change to INF or ENG Platoon rolls ... 75% chance to get INF (v1 was 50%).

MULTIPLAYER

-- US vs German --
:arrow: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21147581 ... _v1.12.zip

-- British vs German --
:arrow: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21147565 ... _v1.12.zip

Unzip MP version to ... \Documents\My Games\BBCBA\MULTIPLAYER

These updates are stand alone versions.

- Merr
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

UPDATE ... SOLO Quick Battles ... v1.12

Change from v1
(1) Added Hetzer.
(2) Fixed script in Medium and Large bsf ... missing ")" on a few functions, didn't appear to cause problems earlier.
(3) Ensured VP's worked correctly by writing extra checks in VP generation.
(4) Infantry Platoons are now ... 3x Squad, 1x Support (mg or rocket team). No change to Eng/Ranger or Eng/Waffen platoon generation.
(5) Change to INF or ENG Platoon rolls ... 75% chance to get INF (v1 was 50%).

SOLO

-- US (player) vs German (AI) --
:arrow: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21147620 ... _v1.12.zip

-- British (player) vs German (AI) --
:arrow: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21147615 ... _v1.12.zip

-- German (player) vs US (AI) --
:arrow: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21147618 ... _v1.12.zip

Unzip SOLO version to ... \Documents\My Games\BBCBA\CAMPAIGNS

These updates are stand alone versions.

- Merr
OldManRick
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by OldManRick »

Do you have a set of playtesters for the multiplayer? If so how do I sign up? I'm willing to try MP games and report the results.

My experience so far has been over 25 of the v1 and v1.1 medium and large maps, 4 small, 3 v87 (paras, forward observers, aid station).

The most balanced are the small, mainly because there is little time to win by attrition. If the VPs are on the Allied side, it puts pressure on the axis. Too many panthers still for even matches. Even a panzer IVG head to head with a sherman favors the axis, but a panther handled properly is deadly. (does anybody know the direct fire hit/kill algorithm so I can figure the face to face odds for Pz IVG vs allied tanks?)

I've won three or four of the medium and large as the allies. Helped by rivers constricting the axis, on board artillery, and bad moves by my opponent. I don't think I've lost as the axis, despite allied art, and a river crossing.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

Thanks for commenting!
Yeah, pretty much all German equipment (under a human player) will unbalance a scenario.
I mentioned a 3:1 ratio for the allies against the Panther ... that would help. I left room for more units per side.

I don't have any playtesters ... If players want to comment they can freely do so, otherwise not.

I posted the explanation of the AP attack and effectiveness here ;
:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=30879

A Pz IVG has penetration values at range (tiles) ...
..... 1 / 2 / 3,4 / 5,6 / 7+
..... 168/168/133/103/78

A Pz IVG armor ratings are (front/side/rear/top)
..... 80/50/40/20

You'll have to pull the data from the squads.csv file and plug in the other allied units.
Basically, a Sherman vs PzIVG is an equal match (range wise) for penetration, but the Pz IVG has better chance to penetrate than the Sherman.

- Rob
random27
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by random27 »

I agree with oldmanrick ,small battle are the best because of number of turns.
Axis is too strong in medium and large.
I m waiting for quick battle in desert or another great scenario like v87 where capturing some places gives some advantages.It gives a real sense to the battle and force one of the camp to attack.
I hope Merr will continue his job.it s the game i ve most played in 2011 and it s his fault :D .
My wife doesn t thank him but i do.
It could be an idea too to make historical scenarios and i hope that slitherine will do his future expansion with east front.
A stand alone one could be done i ll buy it.

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”