Pacific Campaign 2

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Pacific Campaign 2

Post by junk2drive »

This is the second in my Pacific theatre campaign series. It is based on Wild Bill Wilder's SPWAW mini campaign, Flesh and Steel: Tanks at Munda.
It follows a US Marine Corps tank platoon in the early days of the war in the Pacific, as they assist the US Army in taking the Japanese airfield at Munda, New Georgia.
While the focus is on a tank platoon, the rest of the forces, both friendly and enemy, are infantry.

This zip contains all of the PTO work that I have done so far with help from Merr, Tim1966, and AmazEd. Of course Pip and Iain too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6754176/Pacific_Campaign_2.zip

Units added:
IDS_UNITINFO200, "Japanese Ha Go~~Light Tank with 37mm gun",
IDS_UNITINFO201, "Japanese Infantry~~Hardened troops with high morale",
IDS_UNITINFO202, "Japanese Truck~~Transport.",
IDS_UNITINFO203, "Japanese 37mm~~ATG.",
IDS_UNITINFO204, "Japanese mortar~~Team.",
IDS_UNITINFO205, "Japanese HMG~~Team.",
IDS_UNITINFO206, "Japanese scout~~High Morale.",
IDS_UNITINFO207, "Japanese Knee mtr~~Called the Knee mortar but actually placed on the ground. Quick loading and deadly.",
IDS_UNITINFO208, "Japanese AA~~Dual purpose cannon.",
IDS_UNITINFO209, "Japanese Chi Ha~~Medium Tank with 57mm or 47mm gun.",
IDS_UNITINFO210, "Ammo Truck Allies~~Ammo supplies, mobile and unarmed.",
IDS_UNITINFO211, "Ammo Truck Axis~~Ammo supplies, mobile and unarmed.",
IDS_UNITINFO212, "105 Howitzer~~Field gun with AP and HE.",
IDS_UNITINFO213, "Sherman Flame~~Sherman tank fitted with flamethrower.",
IDS_UNITINFO214, "JA Assault Team~~Armed with satchels, pole bombs, and other nasty weapons, these squads are used in desperate situations.",
IDS_UNITINFO215, "US Sniper~~Abilities;~-Sniper Shot~-Gut Feeling :~Reveals Hidden Tiles/Units~~Cover/los range :~-stationary - 6 tiles~-moving - 4 tiles",
IDS_UNITINFO216, "JA Sniper~~Abilities;~-Sniper Shot~-Gut Feeling :~Reveals Hidden Tiles/Units~~Cover/los range :~-stationary - 6 tiles~-moving - 4 tiles",
IDS_UNITINFO217, "MineField~~Blocks movement~only infantry can clear",
IDS_UNITINFO218, "Jeep 50 Cal~~US made utility vehicle with 50 caliber MG.",
IDS_UNITINFO219, "JA Ho Ni~~Self Propelled gun.",
IDS_UNITINFO220, "SNLF Paratroops~~Special Naval Landing Forces Paratroopers.",
IDS_UNITINFO221, "SNLF Infantry~~Special Naval Landing Forces",
IDS_UNITINFO222, "JA LMG~~Light MG Team",
IDS_UNITINFO223, "SNLF LMG~~Special Naval Landing Forces Light MG Team",
IDS_UNITINFO224, "SNLF LT Mortar~~Special Naval Landing Forces LT Mortar.",
IDS_UNITINFO225, "Battalion HQ - 5 Man Team~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~6 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO226, "Battalion XO - 1 Man Leader~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~6 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO227, "Company HQ - 4 Man Team~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~4 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO228, "Company XO - 1 Man Leader~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~4 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO229, "Platoon HQ - 3 Man Team~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~3 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO230, "Minefield~~Blocks movement~only infantry can clear",
IDS_UNITINFO231, "Battalion HQ - 5 Man Team~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~6 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO232, "Battalion XO - 1 Man Leader~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~6 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO233, "Company HQ - 4 Man Team~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~4 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO234, "Company XO - 1 Man Leader~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~4 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO235, "Platoon HQ - 3 Man Team~~action_Rally Skill:~Can rally Infantry/MG units~~Rally range:~3 tiles, within LOS~~Boost Morale by Leader experience, not to exceed units base morale by the following:~~Green +40~Veteran +50~Elite +60~~Cost:~Full AP~Cannot move then rally",
IDS_UNITINFO236, "JA ATR Team~~20mm anti tank rifle team",
IDS_UNITINFO237,"USMC Scout~~Scout",
IDS_UNITINFO238,"USMC Mortar~~Heavy Mortar",
IDS_UNITINFO239,"USMC 50cal MG~~HMG",
IDS_UNITINFO240,"USMC 30cal MG~~LMG",
IDS_UNITINFO241,"USMC Bazooka~~Bazooka",
IDS_UNITINFO242,"USMC Flamethrower~~Flamethrower",
IDS_UNITINFO243,"USMC Engineer~~Engineer",
IDS_UNITINFO244,"USMC Paratroop~~Paratroops",
IDS_UNITINFO245,"USMC Raiders~~Raiders",
IDS_UNITINFO246,"USMC Infantry~~Infantry",
IDS_UNITINFO247,"USMC Sniper~~Sniper",
IDS_UNITINFO248,"USMC PLatoon HQ~~Platoon HQ Squad",

IDS_O_PTO, "Pacific Objects",
IDS_O_PTO_pillbox, "Pillbox",
IDS_O_PTO_cave, "Cave",
IDS_O_PTO_sherman, "Sherman",
IDS_O_PTO_kunai, "Kunai",
Barbed wire
Barbed wire X
Sherman and Stuart map objects

Bonus
Corsair
Zero
US 75mm arty
US 105mm arty

Actions
Rally
GutFeeling
Ammo
Minefield
Sniper
Banzai with sound

Terrain
Kunai

Flags and other map items

Probably some other things that I have forgotten.

I hope you enjoy it.

Next stop will be from the Japanese side in either the Philippines or DEI.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Awesome :). Once you've gotten some feedback and are happy to do so, then just let us know and we can host it up so that everyone can grab it from ingame.

Cheers

Pip
tim1966
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tim1966 »

Just played a quick mission - lots of fun new stuff!
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME
TotalWar
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TotalWar »

Thanks for all the work you've put in. Great stuff.

What is going on with the minefields. They act like snipers. They turn to face my squads and shoot at them. Should that happen? They are then very difficult to kill by shooting back.

thanks
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

The minefields were made by Merr and it was an idea that we came up with.

The "sign" represents the center point of a minefield. There is a random chance that your troops will step on a mine. The best we could come up with is a unit that shoots at you within a short range. You either have to go around the mines or kill them.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

junk2drive wrote:The minefields were made by Merr and it was an idea that we came up with.

The "sign" represents the center point of a minefield. There is a random chance that your troops will step on a mine. The best we could come up with is a unit that shoots at you within a short range. You either have to go around the mines or kill them.
The Minefields aren't suppose to shoot at you Junk :wink:

I'll download the Camp tonight and have a look at it. My guess is that the code isn't killing the minefields like it suppose to so you actually have an active unit (aka minefield) instead of a dormant dead sign.

The code in my Rescue_Prisoner scenario that destroys the minefields is in the scenario BSF, I believe under the StartTurn or Tick.
If that's left out then yeah, expect minefields to shoot at you, but they won't (or shouldn't) hurt you.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

Paul,

I fixed the minefields ... phew ... you changed the name with an added tag AX/AL for axis/allies :shock:

I PM'd you the fixed BSF ... works cool now!

Wish I fixed it earlier when you mentioned it, forgot all about it back then.
TotalWar

Post by TotalWar »

Merr wrote:
junk2drive wrote:The minefields were made by Merr and it was an idea that we came up with.

The Minefields aren't suppose to shoot at you Junk :wink:

I'll download the Camp tonight and have a look at it. My guess is that the code isn't killing the minefields like it suppose to so you actually have an active unit (aka minefield) instead of a dormant dead sign.

The code in my Rescue_Prisoner scenario that destroys the minefields is in the scenario BSF, I believe under the StartTurn or Tick.
If that's left out then yeah, expect minefields to shoot at you, but they won't (or shouldn't) hurt you.
The minefields certainly do hurt me. they shoot from 3 or 4 squares/hexes away and kill and suppress my troops.

Has this been fixed, so we can re-download the campaign?

many thanks
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

hmmm

Merr, your original scenario had the Allies going against the mines. The mines were on your csv as Axis. I made AL and AX so that both sides could have mines.

Then, in testing, I liked how they worked this way. It seems random if they shoot at you or not. They are annoying, as minefields should be. They can kill you, you can kill them or avoid them.

Let's think about this before I change it.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

junk2drive wrote:hmmm

Merr, your original scenario had the Allies going against the mines. The mines were on your csv as Axis. I made AL and AX so that both sides could have mines.
Yeah, the name change and extra minefield unit (for allies) is what broke the original minefield code.
junk2drive wrote:Then, in testing, I liked how they worked this way. It seems random if they shoot at you or not. They are annoying, as minefields should be. They can kill you, you can kill them or avoid them.

Let's think about this before I change it.
I was unsure whether or not you wanted them to retain their original design or not.
:)
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

As a group we can decide what they should be. Then Slith can surprise us like they did with the rally and resupply bonus buttons :lol:

I would prefer a hidden overlay that lowers morale and has a chance to kill, only disabled by engineers. Engineers would need a new action (or the one you intended me to use). Hidden, as in revealed when it "fires".
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

No more comments so I will leave this as is.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

junk2drive wrote:No more comments so I will leave this as is.
Sorry Junk ... back to this ...

Hidden minefields are possible using "globals" defined as x/y coordinates, like VP's.

The only way a player can "search" for the hidden mines with an engineer is methodically, using his cursor. When the player moves his cursor over the adjacent tiles (searching) it will enable a "clearing action_button" letting the player know that the tile contains mines 8)

Pretty cool concept.

Now, with a PLUGIN .... Perhaps Pip can add a plugin for hidden minefields for the scenario designer.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I've not managed to get user plugins into the France update, but they will be going in very soon after that release :).

Cheers

Pip
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

lol with all the stuff that I have had that is invisible until fixed, you would think that making something invisible would be easy.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
ReischFokke

Re: Pacific Campaign 2

Post by ReischFokke »

Can you make a LST link

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”