Solo : Rescue the Prisoner v1.0

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Solo : Rescue the Prisoner v1.0

Post by Merr »

Rescue Prisoner v1.0
A small scenario to introduce new units and new action/abilties.
See Force Selection Menu (in game) for unit details.

Code and Units available are current as of BA v1.3.10

Brief Description :
Two small teams of US Rangers, supported by a Platoon Leader, British Engineer, and one US Sniper have to get through minefields and enemy snipers to rescue a downed British pilot.
Random enemy snipers allows for replay ... The mission could be a cakewalk one time, then disasterous the next!
Prisoner location randomly generated within the town.
Note : The prisoner is generated as a German Unit ... Please don't shoot him! Move next to him and use Action_Capture. Then, select the prisoner and load him on your unit to carry him back to command post.

Download Zip ... Rescue_Prisoner_v1.0
Install to folder ... My Games\BBCBA\CAMPAIGNS

NEW UNITS :
- German Minefield ... Model and DDS by Tim1966.
- US/German Sniper ... (AI coded to use SniperShot for enemy sniper).
- US Leader Teams ... 5 types, can rally troops (increase morale), Platoon Leader Team in scenario.
- Prisoner (British) ... Model and DDS by Tim1966 (static model).

There are a million changes I want to make .... Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Enjoy!
Last edited by Merr on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

DESIGN NOTES

Minefields - This a "german unit" that can be placed by the scenario designer in the Editor. Once placed, the code in the scenario bsf handles the rest.
At the moment, the code "destroys" the minefield ... This blocks movement and only allows infantry to use a form of "assault" or mine clearing operation on it.
The side effect of destroying the minefield before the game starts is clearly seen on the Casualty Reports at the end of the scenario. (inflated kills).
The code to clear minefields is added to the Assault.bsf code, and allows a 20% chance to get a promotion if clearing was successful.

Rally - The rally.bsf is nothing more than the games Sniper.bsf code. Instead of throwing bullets at your men, you throw "words of confidence" at them.

Sharpshooter(Sniper) - The Sharpshooter.bsf is other form of the sniper.bsf code, it allows only a unit with a "sharpshooter" ability (via squads.csv) to make snipershots.
This does not affect Elite Infantry with the snipershot.
The AITools.bsf contains new code that allows the AI to "snipe" you as a priority (if it can). Also, the code turns "off" assault for snipers ... I found it more efficient that the sniper's shoot
rather than try to assault.

Gut Feeling(ability) - This is the scout.bsf code "pasted" into the sharpshooter.bsf modified to allow snipers with varying skill levels a different "reveal" range.

Capture - This is a modified Bulldoze code allowing an infantry unit to change the prisoner side to allied.

Carry Prisoner (Load/Unload) - Code was added to the Load.bsf to allow infantry units to carry the prisoner, in addition to transports as normal.
Transports can carry the prisioner AND the unit that is carrying the prisoner. Helpful code if you want to create other things that can be carried ... tea kettles for British perhaps.

Leader Units - In the rally.bsf, I included code that allows the leader a (1) 20% chance to level up (2) 20% chance to revive the unit it's rallying.
Since leaders are mostly kept out of harms way it would have been difficult to promote them. The new code gives them a chance.

Leader Icon - I added another level of "mask" (128) in the uniticons.dds ... The code in startturn.bsf displays the "Gold Star" icon.
This allows the player to easily indentify their leader at a glance.
Last edited by Merr on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Acererak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Acererak »

Can´t wait!

Seen all the work you have been putting into your modd reading through the threads, and looks like really promising stuff. At least i will try to help you with some feedback testing the scenario (besides enjoying myself, of course, hehe)

Thanks for the hard work and wish this is the first of a long list
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

v1.0 is now up !! Thanks for waiting.

I spent the last few days re-writing code to get everything to work correctly, plus added in some special effects when clearing mines.

Have fun.
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

I'll give it a go tomorrow.
PirateJock_Wargamer

Post by PirateJock_Wargamer »

Downloaded and looking forward to giving it a go tonight - really want to see how the rally and sniper work.

Cheers
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

PirateJock wrote:Downloaded and looking forward to giving it a go tonight - really want to see how the rally and sniper work.

Cheers
PirateJock,

I updated post #2 above ... Design notes ... It might help narrow down the code for you.

Most of the comments in the code that I cut/paste may not concur with the what the code appears to be doing. I'm sloppy with comments.
LOGAN5
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by LOGAN5 »

Very nice work... the scenario itself is pretty easy, but it seems everything works as intended, the rally units idea is nice.. I think it would look nicer if the unit was a 1 man officer. I hope the sniper idea catches on for multiplayer, I'm not sure i would really like the "gut" feeling in a multiplayer game it would make the sniper more of a scout than anything.
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

LOGAN5 wrote:Very nice work... the scenario itself is pretty easy, but it seems everything works as intended, the rally units idea is nice.. I think it would look nicer if the unit was a 1 man officer. I hope the sniper idea catches on for multiplayer, I'm not sure i would really like the "gut" feeling in a multiplayer game it would make the sniper more of a scout than anything.
Thanks LOGAN5 ....

I have single-man leader units in the mod ... BN_XO (battalion exec officer, major) and CO_XO (company exec officer, 1st Lt). The others can be simply changed in the squads.csv, you know the # of men. That's what cool, a designer can simply make a small change to fit their needs.

Yeah, the "gut feeling" is definately a powerfull ability.

And yeah, the scenario is "pretty easy" ... It's something I slapped together using the Slitherine Allied map.

It's all just a basic idea ... I'm hoping that others will get into more depth with modding. I'm not a programmer and just a noob like the rest of you.

I've got other ideas like ... HULL DOWN and CREW BAILOUT on the books. Hull down for tanks in woods and on hilltops if the firing tank is on a lower level. And crewbailout when the tank is destroyed it will run through a routine to see if the tank explodes, if not it will run through every crewman to check for casualties, then if a least 1-man survies it will drop a crewman unit on the tile with the correct number of men surviving.
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Thanks!

Post by pomakli »

Hi Merr!

Thank you for this GREAT effort and new units!

Two questions:
-I think, it''s not written "ACHTUNG MINEN!"

and

Sniper is throwing grenates, instead of fall back!?

:?
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Thanks!

Post by Merr »

pomakli wrote:
Thank you for this GREAT effort and new units!
Thank you for your patience! I was wondering when you were going to get an opportunity to try it out. :D
pomakli wrote: Two questions:
How should it be written?
pomakli wrote: Sniper is throwing grenates, instead of fall back!?
Correct ... It's still treating the Sniper as a regular infantry unit when you move adjacent to it... (no code change).
To have the Sniper "fall back" is an interesting idea but I would have to write (cut/paste) code for this condition to occur.
Forcing the Sniper to "fall back" may or may not be a good idea in some cases ... but, it's worth testing though!
If I make this change later, I'll upload a "beta" so you can try it.
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by pomakli »

Merr wrote:Thank you for your patience! I was wondering when you were going to get an opportunity to try it out. :D
pomakli wrote: Two questions:
How should it be written?
It's my pleasure!

:lol:

I got a stomach virus, since 20.08. and still fighting it!

:cry:

ACHTUNG MINEN!

is right, but I think it's written in the scenario, "Mixen", maybe!?

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr »

pomakli wrote:Sniper is throwing grenates, instead of fall back!?
Ok ... I added some code in the FireHE.BSF ...in the FUNCTION REACT_UNIT_FIREHE(me, unit) ... looks like this ;

Code: Select all

if( (GetAttrib(me, "sharpshooter") == 1) && (distance == 1) && ( GetAttrib(me, "AP") > 0) )
			{
				openfire = 0 ;
				RetreatToCover (me, 1, 1, 5) ;				
			}
Now first of all, if the enemy sniper uses SniperShot in his turn, it will use up all AP. So, if you move next to a sniper that has no AP, he will react(opfire) using HEattack. Since you are next to him, he will use grenades.

If you happen to move next to a Sniper that hasn't "sniped" last turn, then this new code will have him "retreat" or fallback to cover using the standard "RetreatToCover" script, with a "retreatdistance" up to 5 tiles.

So, try this new code out .... Paste it in the FUNCTION REACT_UNIT_FIREHE(me, unit), at the end, as shown below ;

Code: Select all

if ( GetAttrib (me, "moved") == 1 ) // && ( GetAttrib(me, "SneakMode") == 0 ) )
			{
				reactionChance *= GetAttribArray(me, "MovePenalty", 0) ;
				reactionChance /= 100 ;
			}

if( (GetAttrib(me, "sharpshooter") == 1) && (distance == 1) && ( GetAttrib(me, "AP") > 0) )
			{
				openfire = 0 ;
				RetreatToCover (me, 1, 1, 5) ;				
			}

if (Rand (0, 100) > reactionChance )
			{
				openFire = 0 ;
			}

if (openFire != 1)
			{
				effectiveness = -1 ;
			}
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed but I finally figured this one out and won.

Enemy killed was 26???

Good concepts. I'll need these in future battle conversions.
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

You're a genius, Merr. I hope these mods could somehow become "official" with a patch.
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Solo : Rescue the Prisoner v1.0

Post by morge4 »

Anyone out there have a copy of this scenario? I would love to give it a play.

Thanks.
Richcat
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Richcat »

Hi Morge4

Link
Cheers
Richcat
morge4

Post by morge4 »

Richcat wrote:Hi Morge4

Link
Thanks! 8)
macrun11
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by macrun11 »

Could someone please post a new link for "rescue the prisoner"? I am interested in creating some new scenarios centered on SAS/LRDG raids. There have been some brilliant scenarios that I like to borrow from. I lost my usb stick containing all my battle academy archives. Starting to enjoy B.A. again, greatest ever....too bad slith does not plan on continuing this incredible series.

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”