Economic aspects of war

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

ivanov
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Economic aspects of war

Post by ivanov »

Currently I'm playing as CP the 1917 scenario. The net production levels are very low. Turkey has actually negative net production level. I'm not sure why it is so. I suffered some loses, so the total number units to maintain is lower, than it was at the beginning of the game. Do the units that are in the production queue ( but still not deployed ) also require production points that are spent on maintaining the army?

What would be the general guidelines to the new players, how should they manage their economic resources?
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Economic aspects of war

Post by nehi »

ivanov wrote:Currently I'm playing as CP the 1917 scenario. The net production levels are very low. Turkey has actually negative net production level. I'm not sure why it is so. I suffered some loses, so the total number units to maintain is lower, than it was at the beginning of the game. Do the units that are in the production queue ( but still not deployed ) also require production points that are spent on maintaining the army?

What would be the general guidelines to the new players, how should they manage their economic resources?
yep, units in queue allready needs to pay for upkeep, u can see current upkeep in recruiting window, just after u call them to arms, it immediately lowers income

each city has production points, almost any attack can lower it, except fighters

very common is naval chikane of ottomans, coastal bombardment which they cant stop

later amphibious landing everywhere, bye ottoman empire :lol:

ottomans are like serbs for entente, hopeless, but their goal is to buy some time
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

Thinking about it wouldn't it make more sense to almost ignore ottomans and focus on Germany?
nehi

Post by nehi »

tyro wrote:Thinking about it wouldn't it make more sense to almost ignore ottomans and focus on Germany?
heureka, its only hope for entente vs nuclear blitz, as cp almost ignore serbs, they should ignore ottomans, its all about france/germany 8)
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

nehi wrote: yep, units in queue allready needs to pay for upkeep, u can see current upkeep in recruiting window, just after u call them to arms, it immediately lowers income

each city has production points, almost any attack can lower it, except fighters

very common is naval chikane of ottomans, coastal bombardment which they cant stop
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the coastal bombardment is so effective. I think in the game it's more effective than the aerial bombing during the WW2 ;)
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
nehi

Post by nehi »

ivanov wrote: Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the coastal bombardment is so effective. I think in the game it's more effective than the aerial bombing during the WW2 ;)
naval can be done just to coastal cities, nuclear bombing (zeppelins/balloons) can reach like anywhere :lol:

someone hate it, but there is like no hope to break trenched enemy lines, as long as they can replace units

especially when entente disband small garrisons, they can flood battlefield
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

nehi wrote:
naval can be done just to coastal cities, nuclear bombing (zeppelins/balloons) can reach like anywhere :lol:

someone hate it, but there is like no hope to break trenched enemy lines, as long as they can replace units

Yeah, I read that the first Zeppelin raid managed to destroy a roof in a pub and injure 3 people.
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

@Ivanov: if you grow tired of the vanilla game with it's overpowered airforce and naval bombardments you can easily change the values (or any values for that matter) yourself. Changing basic stuff (like stats and PP values) in the game is really easy, all you need is a comfortable text editor like Notepad++ (freeware) and ask at the modding section of this forum or PM me directly.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote:vanilla game with it's overpowered airforce and naval bombardments
but in mp is handy to have some chance to win the war

i dont see real differemce between winning the game or wait 2 years for tech advantage and then winning the game

except it just takes more time

there are just 3 possible outcomes, win of one side or win of other side or tie (most boring without chance to move the front, which is easily to set up without enough airforce)
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Robotron wrote:@Ivanov: if you grow tired of the vanilla game with it's overpowered airforce and naval bombardments you can easily change the values (or any values for that matter) yourself. Changing basic stuff (like stats and PP values) in the game is really easy, all you need is a comfortable text editor like Notepad++ (freeware) and ask at the modding section of this forum or PM me directly.

To be honest I'm not expecting from this kind of, low complexity game to be particularly realistic. It seems though, that the air power is at least WW2 effective.
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
nehi

Post by nehi »

ivanov wrote: To be honest I'm not expecting from this kind of, low complexity game to be particularly realistic. It seems though, that the air power is at least WW2 effective.
its simplicity is great for mp games (i just wonder why ai is so bad...)

realism is kinda boring (4 years / 118 turns of treneched warfare? thanks, but no, ive experienced something like that in my first mp games as cp, stale mate after first winter, then just waiting for the end, ententes overproduction is unbreakable later, without airforce destroying 1 unit per turn is great achievement, but entente can replace it by 5 new), i prefer 30 turns full of intense than waiting for tank tech
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

Wait a sec nehi your acting like cp has any hope of lasting long enough to research tanks. In my opinion if Paris is not taken in the first winter it's gameover 0. Hope
nehi

Post by nehi »

tyro wrote:Wait a sec nehi your acting like cp has any hope of lasting long enough to research tanks. In my opinion if Paris is not taken in the first winter it's gameover 0. Hope
i was talking about "realism"

when u cut out aircrafts, even entente couldnt push, trenched and commanded infantry is tough like hell in face2face fight

then it will be about waiting for some tech (tank was just an example, which can brake stale mate)

if production is imbalanced, it cant be much different than vanilla game, once cp lose iniativity, its just about when ententes overproduction will decide
AEWHistory
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AEWHistory »

ivanov wrote:
nehi wrote:

Yeah, I read that the first Zeppelin raid managed to destroy a roof in a pub and injure 3 people.
But what you didn't read is that the last available Chimay Ale not in German hands was destroyed in that raid. So, in reality, this was a major tragedy. It is amazing the Entente survived this episode, let alone the war!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”