Cp really underpowered

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Cp really underpowered

Post by tyro »

I just realized that even if you get France to surrender you are not assured victory. Russia and the Brits are still their so you have to rush forces around and pray the British player isn't experienced enough to invade Netherlands. All those British planes make my blood freeze. Also lol to Bulgaria #will join by Christmas
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Cp really underpowered

Post by nehi »

tyro wrote:I just realized that even if you get France to surrender you are not assured victory. Russia and the Brits are still their so you have to rush forces around and pray the British player isn't experienced enough to invade Netherlands. All those British planes make my blood freeze. Also lol to Bulgaria #will join by Christmas
powered maybe, under dont think so 8)

even i havent lost a single game as entente so far, but i believe it wont last forever (last week opnn went very close to paris, even i put almost all effort to stop him, he was able to place one unit on neighbour hex of paris, he didnt take brussels in first german turn and he didnt disband german fleet), i guess cp can be restructuralized to be real threat in 1914 (stronger than entente in the initial phase of war), but they cant do much mistakes, spamming one kind of unit wont win the war, that sounds fine to me

once cp lose initiativity, they are doomed, ententes overproduction is crazy with disbanded small garrisons

on the other hand nobody was able to stop me as cp almost whole last year (at least 10 months)

cp/germans are really overpowered in 1916 scenario (where entente ridiculously lack +4D tech and germans have ugpraded fighters)

the most balanced scenario is 1918, i believe 1914 is the 2nd most balanced

1915 is the most pro entente scenario

1917 is pro entente, but germans can do some nasty tricks to make it more even... it matters if they can make it fast enough
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

That's because you look at this from the a pro perspective to any average gamer who is new this game looks completely broken. This is why it's Dieing out as a game central powers is really annoying to learn.
nehi

Post by nehi »

tyro wrote:That's because you look at this from the a pro perspective to any average gamer who is new this game looks completely broken. This is why it's Dieing out as a game central powers is really annoying to learn.
when cp are not fast enough, then it looks very pro entente, but its like historical, one missed chance meant 4 years of struggle

i guess more than 4/5 of all games as cp i won just by quick move through belgium (no magic), just minor of games needed plan b, post blitz solution

greatest newcomers mistake is, they want to play it absolutely safe way, as used from ai or another games, reducing their actions just to zero victims forecasted attacks, its like one footed running

entente should be stronger as cp, but they most likely are not in 1914, i really dont see any problem then

its quite well balanced, just now i guess cp have fate in own hands, but time is working for entente
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

The problem is cp has 0 options. They HAVE to go into France. You seem to forget Russia was a crumbling empire and was already weak when the war started.they also were completely unable to gain ground vs Turks. British are also much stronger than I believe they would be historically. Cp has 0 hope of winning the naval war and even if they miraculously did they sink just a few convoys and USA instantly pissed off
nehi

Post by nehi »

tyro wrote:The problem is cp has 0 options. They HAVE to go into France. You seem to forget Russia was a crumbling empire and was already weak when the war started.they also were completely unable to gain ground vs Turks. British are also much stronger than I believe they would be historically. Cp has 0 hope of winning the naval war and even if they miraculously did they sink just a few convoys and USA instantly pissed off
cp never had other option, 2 major fronts = dead end

u forget there were like no german army, gumbinnen

later at tanneberg russia lost almost whole regular army but fought until bolsheviks backstab uprising in 1917

in 1915 they made advance in ah territories

u cant break 170 000 000 empire with just few millions invaders

two major forces of their times failed there, napoleonic france and wehrmacht
FOARP
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by FOARP »

tyro wrote:That's because you look at this from the a pro perspective to any average gamer who is new this game looks completely broken. This is why it's Dieing out as a game central powers is really annoying to learn.
"Pro perspective" here meaning exploiting the hell out of game mechanics and fighting like this was a WW2 blitzkrieg. That's what's really broken about this game.
nehi

Post by nehi »

FOARP wrote:
"Pro perspective" here meaning exploiting the hell out of game mechanics and fighting like this was a WW2 blitzkrieg. That's what's really broken about this game.
of course, its better to just sit, do nothing 118 turns and smoke cigar, than playing game

only thing broken is just dream of easy win as entente

i wonder, what should cp do in your oppinion, if not blitz? just surrender?

(but if u mean our game in 1917 scenario, i just used combined warfare tanks+arts+air+infantries to break weak german lines in the west, its tough for germans there, so absolutely no problem from any perspective)
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

The only thing this ww1 game gets right is the trench. Everything else is broken
nehi

Post by nehi »

tyro wrote:The only thing this ww1 game gets right is the trench. Everything else is broken
everything else is needed to break trenched infatry, yes 8)

no way to break in, no hope for cp
ivanov
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by ivanov »

My 5 cents here. I bought this game on sale recently, wanted something light and fun to play as multiplayer. After few turns against "pro players" I have enough and will turn somewhere else. The airship war is just crazy. My opponent had about 10 airships as Brits and kept bombing my frontline units. I'm not a purists and I understand it's kind of beer and pretzel game, but c'mon. Some issues could be also prevented by establishing house rules in the meantime. Board gamers do it all the time, but I don't know if the same applies to the PC players.

On the plus side, this should be relatively easy to fix: just make the airships incredibly expensive to purchase and maintain and make allow them only deal a limited damage to the strategic targets. None would buy them them and the balance would be restored.
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
nehi

Post by nehi »

ivanov wrote:My 5 cents here. I bought this game on sale recently, wanted something light and fun to play as multiplayer. After few turns against "pro players" I have enough and will turn somewhere else. The airship war is just crazy. My opponent had about 10 airships as Brits and kept bombing my frontline units. I'm not a purists and I understand it's kind of beer and pretzel game, but c'mon. Some issues could be also prevented by establishing house rules in the meantime. Board gamers do it all the time, but I don't know if the same applies to the PC players.

On the plus side, this should be relatively easy to fix: just make the airships incredibly expensive to purchase and maintain and make allow them only deal a limited damage to the strategic targets. None would buy them them and the balance would be restored.
maybe u should try at least to break trenched line of infantries, before u left

few times i accepted someones house rules, usually they left even faster than without them

any limits = hopeless for cp, they have less of everything, they have just freedom to act
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

nehi wrote: maybe u should try at least to break trenched line of infantries, before u left

few times i accepted someones house rules, usually they left even faster than without them

any limits = hopeless for cp, they have less of everything, they have just freedom to act
Nah, I quit because of what I saw in my other game as CP. If players can break the stealmate in the west by mass bombings of the airships, I don't think it's a game for me. I suppose there are some other interesting tactics that can be used - I just don't want to know :wink:
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
nehi

Post by nehi »

ivanov wrote:I suppose there are some other interesting tactics that can be used
in 1914 there is a chance for blitz, but without enough air support it can be quite easily stoped

u can try potzblitz mod, if u want no air support, but it will be mostly static

i know u were talking about anothe game, but u didnt make like any action
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

ivanov wrote:On the plus side, this should be relatively easy to fix: just make the airships incredibly expensive to purchase and maintain and make allow them only deal a limited damage to the strategic targets. None would buy them them and the balance would be restored.
That's easily done in a matter of seconds, all you need is a text editor to change a few numbers in the corresponding script file. In this case the file is called units.lua and is found in the CTGW/Data/Scripts folder.

Just to give you an example, this is the entry for Zeppelins:

id = 15,
name = "zeppelin",
type = "air",
defenseType = "smallgarrison",
chassis = "dirigible",
class = "air",
icon = "zeppelin",
levels =
{
{
hp = 100,
mp = 10,
ap = 1,
LOS = 6,
range = 16,
shock = 2,
attack = 1,
defense = 1,
airattack = 1,
airdefense = 1,
bombard = 1,
assault = 0,
ammunition = 1, <---- ammo used per attack
}
},
--retreat = 0,
costPP = 30, <----- the PP cost for the unit
costMP = 1,
turns = 5, <----- the production time in turns
upkeepPP = 1, <----- the upkeep cost in PP per turn
upkeepMP = 0,
weapon = "heavy",
factions = { 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 10 },
strengthValue = 1,

stats =
{
groundattack = 1,
airattack = 1,
airdefense = 1,
navalattack = 9,
stratattack = 10, <----- various combat stats, worst offenders are shock (reduces efficiency) and strat attack (reduces city production)
subattack = 12,
basedefense = 1,
highdefense = 3,
bombard = 1,
shock = 2,
},
},

For multiplayer it's sufficient for the hosting player to have applied any changes to the scripts.
Care should be taken to backup the scripts folder before any changes are made just in case, it's only a few kilobytes of text files after all.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

nehi wrote: i know u were talking about anothe game, but u didnt make like any action
But there's no way that you can break the trenches without massive amount of upgraded artillery and tanks, right? I wasn't aware that I should purchase tons of airships ;)
Last edited by ivanov on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Robotron wrote:
That's easily done in a matter of seconds, all you need is a text editor to change a few numbers in the corresponding script file. In this case the file is called units.lua and is found in the CTGW/Data/Scripts folder.
Thanks. I'll try your mod at some stage. It looks pretty good. I'm wondering why there was no expansion released for this game, that would fix some of the existing problems and add some smaller scenarios.
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

ivanov wrote:I'm wondering why there was no expansion released for this game, that would fix some of the existing problems and add some smaller scenarios.
The original coder left and wasn't replaced.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Robotron wrote:
ivanov wrote:I'm wondering why there was no expansion released for this game, that would fix some of the existing problems and add some smaller scenarios.
It's a shame :(
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
nehi

Post by nehi »

ivanov wrote:
Robotron wrote:
It's a shame :(
but balloons pulverizing industry was added as one of the latest "improvements" in 1.64

small garrisons and production boost cause of it too (massing other units)

thats 2 things i can agree they are just wrong

third controversal was minimalizing cost of refilling units, in 1.5x it was based on units purchase value, in 1.6x it costs like nothing (i remember tanks were almost useless for more than one serie of suciding attacks cause of it, very vulnerable and expensive unit, air striking ground units which had antiair upgrade was painfull too)

and of course, it was allowed to refill just 1 point while moving and 2 static (now its 2 - half supplied also, and 3 static)

arty ammo consumption is ill too, massing arty, hopeless massing (so im taking aircrafts as substitute for useless arties)

Return to “Commander - The Great War”