Map editor?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Vokt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Map editor?

Post by Vokt »

I heard a long time ago that a map editor was going to be made available for the use of the CTGW community. Has this project been abandoned or it will be finally released anytime soon?
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Map editor?

Post by Robotron »

My money is on "never".
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Vokt wrote:I heard a long time ago that a map editor was going to be made available for the use of the CTGW community. Has this project been abandoned or it will be finally released anytime soon?
It's the classic Lordz "bait and switch"...
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The mapfile is a giant array/table with data values for each hex including original hex owner, terrain, entrenchment, railroads etc.

Thing is: all mapfiles are encrypted and will produce lots of garbled special characters if loaded into an editor. Therefore even using a hex editor (tried Winhex) is out of the question.

I tried to change the tables from within the scripts when I tried to include special terrain (ice floes for the Baltic in winter) and found them to be read-only too.

So, basically there is no way to change the map.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

operating wrote:
Vokt wrote:I heard a long time ago that a map editor was going to be made available for the use of the CTGW community. Has this project been abandoned or it will be finally released anytime soon?
It's the classic Lordz "bait and switch"...
I take that back: It's just "bait"..

Return to “Commander - The Great War”