New WW I AAR

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

New WW I AAR

Post by operating »

Just in case any of the readers here get bored try following this "NEW" WW I AAR: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... vs-will-e/ personally I find it interesting... Mind you I have been a fan of CTGW since it was first released I believe about Nov. 2012 and wrote many AARs over at the Matrix CTGW forum.
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: New WW I AAR

Post by nehi »

its a good game? i bought it last year, but i was bored even by single player... maybe i should give it second chance, mp in ctgw is almost dead
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

nehi wrote:its a good game? i bought it last year, but i was bored even by single player... maybe i should give it second chance, mp in ctgw is almost dead
Hello nehi,
Had the same sentiments as you.... :wink:
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Recently came back to play CTGW in SP, had fun with it, but was not near as entertaining as CTGW MP. The ease of playing the game was still there, however it was so limited in scenarios it quickly became boring again, plus the fact the game "never got fixed" much to my chagrin.... SCWWI offered many more scenarios and a bit more complicated and, a big "AND", is actively supported by the devs, that's a huge PLUS!!!!! I agree that SCWWI SP can wear on ya, however when I see an active MP match going on it truly excites me. The way the whole CTGW MP system (the way it is set up) is superior IMO to the way SCWWI MP is set up (a bit helter skelter). As of yet have not played SCWWI in MP, although leaning that direction, even though I do not have a complete understanding of the game..
nehi

Post by nehi »

operating wrote:Recently came back to play CTGW in SP, had fun with it, but was not near as entertaining as CTGW MP. The ease of playing the game was still there, however it was so limited in scenarios it quickly became boring again, plus the fact the game "never got fixed" much to my chagrin.... SCWWI offered many more scenarios and a bit more complicated and, a big "AND", is actively supported by the devs, that's a huge PLUS!!!!! I agree that SCWWI SP can wear on ya, however when I see an active MP match going on it truly excites me. The way the whole CTGW MP system (the way it is set up) is superior IMO to the way SCWWI MP is set up (a bit helter skelter). As of yet have not played SCWWI in MP, although leaning that direction, even though I do not have a complete understanding of the game..
thats what im afraid of, that game basics are much more complicated than ctgw (i loved sc2 and now is sc3 freshly out), simplicity of cgtw is great for mp, easy to learn, but hard to master

i dont believe its ever possible to balance and fix game like scww1, ctgw has just that damn small garrisons, but except that its balanced very well

maneuvers in ctgw are smooth, in scww1 it was just like one big WTF all the time, units couldnt step on some squares and when going around enemy unit, their reach was just ridiculous
map scale + units speed doesnt fit together in scww1, speed is almost zero during time of action

feeling of that was more like 30 years war than ww1, like form a line, shoot, step backwards, move 2nd row in front, shoot, step backwards... any breakthrough is pointless, cause of that crippled movings and units are more fragile there when surrounded

now im on crossroad, sc3 or scww1? im bit tired of ww2, but its more suitable for sc concept than ww1
sc3 will take long way until fixed...
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

If you go to the new SCWW2/3 Matrix forum there is a huge amount of interest and posts, the most I've seen about a game in a long time. Gotta love the look of the "optional" hardcover manual (pricey), but worth it to me, likely to buy game and manual box set soon...
nehi

Post by nehi »

not surprising, sc2 is a great game, especially with all that later addons

but sc3 looks very similar... maybe its only flaw 8)

sc2 was a huge improvement of first one
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Where SC did a remake of a prior WW II game from SC2 to SC3 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1252 I'm wondering if they are considering doing a remake of it's WW I game using the hex system (instead of tiles) and perhaps other adjustments to make it a smoother game to play. It would be the balls if they got it to any where the smoothness of CTGW.
nehi

Post by nehi »

its strange game, its like on half way between sc2 and sc:ww1, which is wrong way

sometimes fresh, unmoved, unit (even tank) cant move to neighbour (not mountain) hex, ridiculous
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

What I do like about SCWWI is the players "cannot spam certain units", there's a limit to each category of units, unlike CTGW: which can turn into an abortion given a chance by the owning player, be it that it is SP or MP.
nehi

Post by nehi »

spam in ctgw is not about limitless units, but sg production boost

with less income, there wont be any spam

each upkeep for sg can feed one aircraft, thats the real problem

russia has 50, britain and germany 20, france and ah 10

hard limits are killing variability
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

OK you have covered part of the problem, but not the whole problem. Part of the problem is self created by the player using game mechanics such as: Disbanding SGs for no other purpose other than for economic gain, it's a huge temptation to resist. I've read where you also acknowledge the problems really started with the introduction of these SG units: That, I have to agree with. Initially these units were not disband-able, however in later versions of the game they became disband-able, however the disbanding should not have led to spamming, in other-words the historical aspect of the game just went out the window for those who have chosen to bend the "so called rules", or as I should say ethically change the rules, only thing is: The AI does not know it! Neither does the human opponent know it! Let's say the human knows you are going to spam and tries to anticipate what it could be. Could it be a huge influx of infantry? A huge airforce? A massive navy (less likely) ? If they guess wrong, they will get screwed all-mightily. Then the match is just a waste, it's over before it get's started... That to me takes all the fun out of it..! To the beginner or the novice MP player it is likely to be a deterrent to ever playing MP again, also to me (a veteran player) it became an unsavory way to play, thus that is why I stopped playing about a year ago, even though I really loved playing the game.. At present reading about Robotron's Potblitz and the hoops he is jumping through to make CTGW a better game experience....
nehi

Post by nehi »

still better win by spamming units than to wait to be overruned cause of ententes overproduction, without enough airforce cp are not able to ever win

that guessing is part of a game, its like rock paper shotgun :D

what could be more boring than predictable game?
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

To a certain extent I agree with you. Are you surprised? :mrgreen: Against a veteran player it's really hard for CP to win out-right. Like in a football game each side tries to exploit the other sides mistakes to score, although in this game you need to find a multitude of mistakes to score a win and matchups on the field can help further the chances of mistakes. Historically and game-wise CP is the underdog, some think they should have been an equal to Entente, but that's not just the case perhaps a 40/60% (40 cp win) or less of a CP victory as reality sets in, that's where the challenge lays and to beat the odds... Hey, I'm of German heritage and half French, I would love to have an easy CP victory, just out of national pride, but my French side says I will not be denied the changing of history, we fought fair and won, so I am very mixed when it comes down to who's blood was lost... What really SUCKS is that the devs abandoned us when this game was so close to being a gem....!!!!!!
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

operating wrote:What really SUCKS is that the devs abandoned us when this game was so close to being a gem....!!!!!!
PotzBlitz mod to the rescue! :wink:
nehi

Post by nehi »

operating wrote:To a certain extent I agree with you. Are you surprised? :mrgreen: Against a veteran player it's really hard for CP to win out-right. Like in a football game each side tries to exploit the other sides mistakes to score, although in this game you need to find a multitude of mistakes to score a win and matchups on the field can help further the chances of mistakes. Historically and game-wise CP is the underdog, some think they should have been an equal to Entente, but that's not just the case perhaps a 40/60% (40 cp win) or less of a CP victory as reality sets in, that's where the challenge lays and to beat the odds... Hey, I'm of German heritage and half French, I would love to have an easy CP victory, just out of national pride, but my French side says I will not be denied the changing of history, we fought fair and won, so I am very mixed when it comes down to who's blood was lost... What really SUCKS is that the devs abandoned us when this game was so close to being a gem....!!!!!!
yeah, its a shame, its very well balanced for mp (except that sg issue)

the more i play sc3, the more wierd it feels, ai is hamrless once the front is wide
naval ai is at ctgw level, funny bad
russia is a industry monster, in 1943 ive got all research done, all units build and deployed, 5000 pps i cant spent...

usa and britain have not enough pps every turn, russia can beat all the world alone i guess :lol:

is there any way how to skip intelligence report? most annoying thing remains...
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Have been following this SC3 AAR: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4182588

Been thinking about CTGW Russian SGs. My thought is: Should the devs ever eliminate the majority of the Russian SGs (with the exception of 5 or 6) with a simple patch (which should not take a whole lot of effort) could resolve a whole lot of problems with the game. Let's face it, in turn 7 or 8 or so the Russians can end up with 70 to 90 PP as a result of disbanding SGs, whereas the Germans are at plus or minus 50 PP, AH somewhere around 30 to 40 PP. Roughly put: The Russian PP is about equal/if not better than the total CP PP. Would you agree?
nehi

Post by nehi »

my aar is, as axis poland and france np, moscow captured in 1943, it offered me just major victory, i refused it, and it took me next 3 years to finish russia, pf (really boring), in 1947 allies driven back to atlantic (i pushed russia so badly i let em to do overlord) and got decisive victory

as allies poland and france no chance, but germans werent able to do serious push against russia except initial one, russian unit spam stoped em somewhere on ukrainian and baltic states borders, later i used tanks and schock armies to seize empty cities while germans were just holding line or retreating, fighting them was one great struggle, decisive victory in 1944 berlin and rome seized, overlord in 1942, no resistance there
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

nehi wrote:my aar is, as axis poland and france np, moscow captured in 1943, it offered me just major victory, i refused it, and it took me next 3 years to finish russia, pf (really boring), in 1947 allies driven back to atlantic (i pushed russia so badly i let em to do overlord) and got decisive victory

as allies poland and france no chance, but germans werent able to do serious push against russia except initial one, russian unit spam stoped em somewhere on ukrainian and baltic states borders, later i used tanks and schock armies to seize empty cities while germans were just holding line or retreating, fighting them was one great struggle, decisive victory in 1944 berlin and rome seized, overlord in 1942, no resistance there
So how do you rate SC3 as a game? Was it as enjoyable to play as CTGW?
nehi

Post by nehi »

operating wrote:So how do you rate SC3 as a game? Was it as enjoyable to play as CTGW?
for me its just at the beginning, its like vanilla sc2, if u r new in it, its good, but after few games u feel, it can be much better (for example i used paratroops to land on some tight peninsula, but i couldnt move them anywhere, cause that f*in crippling effect, after like 10 months i could move them out, surprisingly in some really wet conditions, dont know why... thats just dumb and similar thing happens even during fights in the middle of the front, where its caused by close enemies...)

ai is just weak, its on ctgw vanilla level, only during german initial phase its able to do some attacks, another time its just pasive and unable to combine units to do anything

fight is basically what about scww1 is, move units close to enemy, in one turn do all atacks possible, move first line out, move second in, destroy enemy, do breakthrough or move 3rd line in... repeat it million times = win, u cant do any nasty maneuvers

but more effective than fighting is to send fast units in breaktroughs and move them as far as possible, ai usually withdraw some units to slow em down (its not able to destroy them), that makes more holes in their lines, so more chances to do this "tactics", fighting is just for arties and rockets and airforces, ground units are weak, just tanks or heavy tanks can do some damage directly

ctgw is really smooth in comparison, but sc3 is more complex and can grow with updates and sometime it can be as good as sc2 with expansions, but now it feels like beta version

Return to “Commander - The Great War”