Improvement ideas

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Kalrat
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Improvement ideas

Post by Kalrat »

a) One idea for improvement would be for Diplomacy. Now you can see e.g. that Romania enters the war after x turns. So Central Powers can set up their forces correctly, but there is no way how Romania could set up their forces. So as this is so fixed when country enters war it would be good to have have couple of turns time to move forces of Romania (or the country that will enter the war). It would be quite logical to have time to set up defense a bit earlier.

b) Also national borders could be more visible.

c) For diplomacy it would be good to have also "fear" that some country will join CP or Enttententten powers again. Thus it's too safe to let border unguarded after some country surrenders.

d) the convoy routes are quite mysterious. E.g. in our current game German convoys has come via English Channel but why? It should be visible "about" where the convoys come from and maybe have also some control for the convey routes, at least optional
avoran
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Improvement ideas

Post by avoran »

a) Like that idea.

b) I've notice the nearly invisible borders too. It's just aesthetics, but still, you get a nice feeling when you cross the line :)

c) true, IRL the border would never be left unguarded. But the chances of the country rejoining (unless the other side was obviously losing) are very small. So I'm not sure how to best fix this.

d) There was a debate in the beta stage about whether or not to have manual convoys. I don't remember why the devs decided "no". But after seeing my German convoys try to run the Channel too I feel even more strongly that we ought to have manual control! (At the very least as an option, as you say)
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester
Kalrat

Post by Kalrat »

e) need to comment also to this topic that end game with multi-player is a joke. You cannot even see who won the game and no stats after the game so this first thing to be improved in the game imho
Kalrat

Post by Kalrat »

I just love this game, maybe because I've been always Panzer General fan. This game is so bug free as game can get, but still so much lacking the end game stats... :)

Only 'bigger' bug so far that I have found was when I was playing enttententten and Russia surrendered while my sub was in their harbor, it was stuck for the rest of the game.

So when we get ww2 version I hope to be in the beta team ;-)
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Things I've noticed:

- Lack of an undo option for a unit move. Rules could be like Panzer Corps, if you haven't uncovered any previously unseen unit you can take that turn back. Missclicks happen too often.
- Certain event text boxes like the Convoy Blockade by the British are broken in German text-wise. From what I could see the 'umlaute' might cause the issue. They seem to be replaced with huge blocks of white spaces or something to that effect but also more letters are missing. Also this affects only the event title, the description has the placeholder/lookup label instead of the text.
- The end game is a bit disappointing. one event box and then back to the main menu? Why not let me explore the map like in Panzer Corps the option "explore map" first instead of jumping right off to the next scenario. Like maybe show the map without fog of war to show the final situation after the player has won/lost? See where the units are, what the military situation was at the end of the war, maybe to make a screenshot.
- More variation of music maybe? That's the most annoying after a while lol ;P
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

I am rather new to the game, but I am already missing an undo option for moves like in Panzer Corps.

Will there be one in a future patch?

Thanks in advance! :)
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
returntoforever8
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by returntoforever8 »

i would like the national borders to be more visible.

playing without unit counter is a strain on the eyes trying to differentiate my units so i use counters.

also undo button

i'd also like the ability to control a single nation to gradually learn the game without controlling all the nations i am allied with

hotseat multiplayer

and an increased zoom level :)
IvanGrozni

Post by IvanGrozni »

I think UNDO option should be removed from multiplayer.

The game looks great, no zooming is necessary, but the music can get repetetive soon.
There is a lot of free music from the 18th and 19th century which I think suits this kind of games the best. Some Chopin would be grat.

I think that balancing the game so that it is playable by both sides is the most important thing to focus on. In all scenarios.
And even in this area I think that the current level of balance is roughly ok.

Maybe allow UK warhsips in Persian gulf.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”