Commander: The Great War reviews

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Commander: The Great War reviews

Post by lordzimoa »

Reviews:

First review of Commander: The Great War from 7idgaming (German), gives a 84%!

http://7idgaming.de/content.php?182-Sli ... War-REVIEW

Tip: if necessary use Google Translate or similar.

Next review of Commander: The Great war from Strategyprime 4/5 stars!

http://www.strategyprime.net/commander- ... ar-review/
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Commander: The Great War reviews

Post by Myrddraal »

More a blog post than a review from RockPaperShotgun:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11 ... -fumbling/
I’m about halfway through my first 118-turn Commander: The Great War campaign at present, and can’t recall enjoying a grand-strategic WWI title more. Lordz seem to have judged the scale, pace and workload just about perfectly.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Commander The Great War review at The Wargamer.

It is also highly addictive and 'fun' to play, (I’m always a bit leery of using words like fun in conjunction with wargaming) but all credit to The Lordz Studios/Slitherine/Matrix. They have produced a great title, and one that is extremely enjoyable. My advice is to go and buy if you are interested; you are going to be in for a bumpy but fantastic and immensely fulfilling ride!

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3278/pc ... -great-war
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Commander The Great War review from Wargamer France:

http://www.wargamer.fr/commander-the-gr ... ignoteurs/

“The developers worked hard to integrate innovative concepts in a proven system”
“The Great War is very well depicted and the game will please both the newcomers and the expert wargamers”
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Commander – The Great War – Reviewed!

http://www.gametheorycast.com/commander-the-great-war/

To summarize my summary, if you are a fan of strategy games, I believe this is one that must not be passed up on. Play it, learn it, then dominate in Commander – The Great War!
ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ScottP »

Gamershall.de gives Commander - The Great War an 84%! Please note that this is in German.

http://www.gamershall.de/index.php?p=ar ... -great-war

"I heartily recommend Commander - The Great War to any passionate PC general."
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Two new nice reviews of Commander The Great War

CTGW review at All PC Game (80%)
http://www.allpcgame.net/2013/01/comman ... eview.html

Quote:

I have wanted a Great War wargame for some time now. Those currently on the market just did not appeal to me. I had a feeling this would be the game to fill that void. Man on man was my gut feeling right on the mark.

CTGW review at Tacticular Cancer
http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=3930

Quote:

Commander: The Great War certainly (and rightly so) feels more like arm-wrestling than a graceful sword duel. Yet for anyone who has grown tired of years of panzers, blitzkrieg, Stalingrad and Normandy, this game should be just the ticket.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Here's an abridged intro to the tacticular cancer review:

The First World War isn't a setting we hear too much about in gaming. Principally, because there is an almost unshakable stigma that the war was a pointless slaughter of “lions led by donkeys”. Culturally, it is solely held as a grim and depressing lesson in the futility of war and the idiocy of nationalism. (..)

Upon hearing of a strategy game using this setting, the reader likely wonders how on Earth could The Lordz Games Studio create an interesting, challenging and, well, fun turn-based strategy in a war known for its complete lack of mobility and dreary fortification-centric, attrition-based stalemate? Both the preceding Napoleonic era (..) and the following Second World War (..) seem far more exciting and brimming with strategic potential than ‘All Quiet on the Western Front: The Game’. After all, how many of us played ‘Trench Warfare’ with our toy soldiers?

Upon closer inspection the First World War is far more interesting than it seems. Unlike the Second which was virtually decided by 1942, the First World War could have swung either way even as late as 1918. By its end it had largely spelt the end of the grand imperial age of Western monarchy, as the long-decaying Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires finally dissolved, (..) the Tsar was murdered and Russia locked in a civil war. (..) All results that none would have predicted a mere four years earlier. (..)

The Great War gives you the chance to alter history. (..) The ‘what-ifs’ are plenty and ought to give the player a new-found respect for the strategic dilemmas that confronted the generals and politicians on both sides of the trenches.

Commander The Great War admirably succeeds in staying true to the nature of warfare in this era and being a fun, accessible game that keeps you on the edge of your seat cursing as your offensive peters out of steam and manpower shortages begin to cripple your industry.

Read more:
http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=3930
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Another good Commander: The Great War - Game Review from Russia! (8/10)

http://caponier.ru/commander-the-great- ... -igry.html

Quote:

In general, Commander: The Great War is a must-try all who love turn-based wargames of this type, and anyone interested in the First World theme.

(Tip: if necessary use Google Translate or similar for a full translation.)
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Commander: The Great War review at The Few Good Men (9/10)

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforu ... -10.16484/

Quote:

It is a fantastic, vast, enjoyable, addictive game to play.
Rmarsden
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rmarsden »

A review

WWI games are rare. The war's sequel has done a good job of drowning out the original in a swathe of blitzkrieg. So, it's refreshing to see someone approach the Great War as Slitherine has. For those after a quick review: WOW. Get your tin hat, put on your long socks, enjoy the mud and get ready to go over the top!

The game is clever in a number of ways and avoids the pitfalls of other strategic games, such as Time of Wrath, which is similar and set in WWII.

Attrition

To model history, the game ensures that a stalemate on the Western Front is very likely. Defensive positions are difficult to overcome without artillery, and advances tend to be minuscule. Without sufficient forces, and a large barrage beforehand, one can only expect to crawl forward, and all too often as you leap one hex forward, the AI eagerly tries to send you two hexes back. Thus, the game on the West becomes one of trying to, as the Germans put it, "Bleed France white" while the French responded with, "None Shall Pass". Nations have limited manpower and every soldier sent to the front, is one less home to work in the factories. To make a breakthrough, each side has to try to drain the other dry with the outcome often revealing itself late in the long campaign.

In the East, the war is much larger. There are more units, and a battlefield that can be much less stationary. The Russians have the numbers, but if they take too many losses it can lead to Revolution. The Germans and Austrians can relatively quickly deal with Serbia and bring both their forces to bear- but for them its a struggle to keep the fighting going, while watching the other fronts of the war.

Unlike many games, in which as cities are captured a nation suddenly has many more resource points with which to buy endless troops, the Great War is different. An army can be only so large. Upkeep becomes a major factor in the game. If the Germans try to get as many units on the field as Russia, France and Britain combined, they'll fail. They need to use an army of the right size in order to have production points left over for expensive upgrades like ammunition for artillery barrages.

Thus, the game captures the very essence of World War One. Grand breakthroughs of speed and determination are less common than the slow, costly crawl forward. Sometimes, a dogged and bloody defense does more good than an assault!

AI
The AI is fairly good in the game. Single mistakes can unhinge a line and force a general retreat. More than once, I had to perform a strategic retreat to shorten my line after an error on my part. The AI can unleash tremendous, concentrated assaults which can wear out if one is able to withstand them. As the AI's manpower gets reduced, evidence on the front reveals itself. Lines aren't as cohesive, the artillery barrages are less, and units aren't repaired. Some players have noted they can win the game with ease, but I imagine they've played a couple of times and simply learned to deal with what the AI can throw at them. Other players say the AI is too hard. Patience! This is a war in which you're not always on the offense.

Playability

Slitherine strikes a great balance for the Great War. There are tech-trees, and a few land, air, sea forces, with some management of ammunition- but nothing too complex. The game is simple to understand and its nuances reveal themselves as one plays. This is an approachable game that avoids the desire of gronards to have everything depicted and an unwieldy game, and games that are too simplistic and become 'a game' with a WWI skin.

Drawbacks

There isn't a better Great War strategy video game out there. Also, there aren't really a whole lot of WWI games to contend with. The faults of the game are minor.

A - Diplomacy - It exists, but not really. One can simply check to see when or if a neutral nation might join the war. There are no actions or really any information at all to draw from.

B - The Enemy - You have no idea how well you're doing. The enemy's morale is a secret. It would be nice if some hints were dropped. While an exact indication of enemy morale would be too advantageous, a little hint might be nice.

C - Unused Units - A common issue in games like these are units that simply never get used by the player. The AI loved buying aircraft, which are expensive, less effective than artillery and only somewhat useful for recon. Submarines are unwieldy and expensive for the Germans. Battleships have a tremendous cost. Tanks seem to be a little under-powered, or at least a little worse off than infantry. Cavalry quickly loses relevance and vanishes from the game. Zeppelins cost a ton- and do little for it. What this all means is that as a player I always opted on buying infantry and artillery with a little air-cover. I felt as if I were missing parts of the game. As the Central Powers, for example, I never had enough money to get involved in land, sea and air at the same time. Other players have noted the naval aspect especially ends up non-existent. A possible solution for the designers would be to force some production points into land, sea and air, with a left-over pool to be used at the discretion of the player.

D - The End - When you win the game, there is little fanfare. After years in the trenches I'd like some statistics. What was the enemy's morale at? Show me a map of Europe and who owns what. What was the death toll for each alliance? It's the little things that matter.

Pros

A - Easy to Play - The game isn't hard at all to figure out. Most things are intuitive and there are very few things to manage.

B - Hard to Master - So far, I've been surprised at how well the game has played. I'm used to most games either going entirely my way, or not. Not so in the Great War. With many fronts and an AI ready to press on any of them, it made the game tricky. More than once I thought I was about to lose it all, only to find out the AI had exhausted their great push. More than once I made one error, and the AI leaped at the opportunity.

C -Developers - The developers are clever sorts. They update the game, listen to their customers, but don't jump on every suggestion tossed their way.

D - Mood - Slitherine captured WWI. It's something they clearly wanted to do, and so far it plays like WWI and encourages the horrendous strategy of attrition.

Overall - A solid A. So, Johnny Get Your Gun, and go play Commander the Great War.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Thanks a lot for that review Rmarsden. Is this something which you have posted elsewhere, or just here?
Rmarsden
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rmarsden »

Hello!

I'm using this webpage and sending it to my 'legion' of fans on my facebook. I didn't see the game on Amazon or elsewhere that allowed customer reviews, but if you have a place for it, just let me know. Oh, and good job listening to the customers, but not all of them. I can see where there is productive ideas and others which want to turn the game into something else. It's rare that developers listen at all- so well done, sir!
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Here's another review in Portugese

http://hu3br.com/review-commander-the-great-war/

To read in English (google translate)
http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 2F&act=url
Combat is too much fun to stop playing. Each turn, each movement of an enemy unit, several solutions quickly appear in your mind and the feel of that famous "just one more turn" comes up in a matter of minutes.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Commander: The Great War on iPad gets a 4,5 on 5 star review from Digitally Downloaded:

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2014 ... -ipad.html
glenghiscan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by glenghiscan »

Had commander Europe at war on Sony psp some years ago playing on iPad now similar controls but with a few improvements well worth the purchase price I paid a lot more for the Sony psp game
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Ipadboardgames.org review on Commander the Great War - They loved the gameplay!

http://ipadboardgames.org/2016/commander-the-great-war/

Return to “Commander - The Great War”