Useless/NonExistant Tutorials in Grognard Games

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Cheimison
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Useless/NonExistant Tutorials in Grognard Games

Post by Cheimison »

TOAW III or many John Tiller/HPS games, for example.

"Print out this PDF and follow the written instructions."
And better hope they work, because they are often outdated and no longer correspond to the engine!

Why did anyone ever think this is acceptable? Especially with a game that already has crap layout, extremely complex options and obscure controls hidden in submenus of submenus of dropdown bars? And most of these games came out in like 2003-2010! We're not talking DOS here, come on!

Would it kill these people to at least make a Youtube tutorial video? That would be like 500x more useful than some obscurely phrased text-based instruction manual. And I do not have a printer and never will, because paper is a medieval archaism. I actually think just making a Youtube video would be easier than writing a 15 page pure-text description trying to explain what's going on onscreen. Do these old programmer dudes even Internet or what?

You can tell they obviously put a lot of work and effort into making these games, but they totally drop the ball on explaining how to play it to anyone that doesn't already know how to play 5 of their other games. And it's not like you can just play the game and figure it out, at least, if you did there's a pretty good chance you'd be missing the function of some vital but usually-greyed-out option under the Action -> Subcommander menu (just making stuff up, but if you've played Ancient Warfare you KNOW what I mean).

Return to “General Discussion”