Source of ,To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth,

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Cheimison
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Source of ,To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth,

Post by Cheimison »

There is a Greek story/quote that I am trying to remember the source of, and Google is no use. The gist of it is this:
Some Scythian or Kimmerian nomad queen is fighting with X group, and X group invites them to a party, then slaughters the Scythians while they're drunk. Later the Queen confronts X and says that the only reason they were able to defeat her men is because they were treacherous, whereas from birth her men are trained to Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth.
There's a Jeff Cooper book and a Swedish death metal album named after this story, but I can't find the quote/source, though I know I've read it before.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Source of ,To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth,

Post by TheGrayMouser »

The best I can determine its possibly from: Toxophilus a book about longbow archery by Roger Ascham and written in the 16th century. (the dialogues talk about skythians...)
Cheimison
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Source of ,To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth,

Post by Cheimison »

TheGrayMouser wrote:The best I can determine its possibly from: Toxophilus a book about longbow archery by Roger Ascham and written in the 16th century. (the dialogues talk about skythians...)
The quote probably comes from Herodotus, speaking on the Persian nobility, but was later recycled (including possibly this Toxophilus book).

Return to “General Discussion”