Anyone Using a Windows Surface Pro to run Slitherine Games?

Moderator: Slitherine Core

DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Anyone Using a Windows Surface Pro to run Slitherine Games?

Post by DonCzirr »

With Slitherine’s revised production focus, that seems to include only cartoonish, light strategy games for IOS going forward, it may be prudent for mobile gaming users to start exploring other options.

Along those lines, is anyone currently using a Windows Surface Pro to run any of Slitherine’s more “significant” games? (Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa, Sanctus Reach, Sengoku Jidai might be good examples)

If so, do they run well?

Do you see any functionality / performance issues?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
CarlVS
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Anyone Using a Windows Surface Pro to run Slitherine Gam

Post by CarlVS »

I think it is more a question of how necessary the use of a mouse and keyboard is to play the game.

After Apple announced they would not allow 32-bit apps to run on iOS 11, I went out and bought a used Surface Pro 3. Thanks to last Christmas' Steam sale, I was able to inexpensively obtain the Windows versions of my favorite Slitherine iPad games I owned; plus I used my registration keys to access games I had purchased from other sources.

I found that the Windows versions of my iPad games (Panzer Corps, Battle Academy 2, WH 40,000) work pretty much the same on both devices, and I can play it while away from my desktop setup - using the Surface Pen as a substitute for a mouse. I have Sanctus Reach, but have not played it extensively yet; based on what I seen, it should play as well as the games I mentioned before.

However, something more complex like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa, I believe someone would need to have access to a true mouse and keyboard to play.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I have a Surface 3 (not the Pro) and I fully agree with what CarlVS says. Those are my findings as well.

I would also add, that not all the games work well when the DPI scaling level is set to high, like they are in the 4K monitors and the Surface screens.
Specially the old ones. Others don't have a problem, like for example the ones based on our engines (like Battle Academy, Pike & Shot, Sengoku Jidai, etc.).
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Surface 3 seems fairly affordable:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surfac ... +surface+3

Definitely worth considering for future mobile wargaming !
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

That's the Surface version I have, it's cheap and OK for Panzer Corps for example. I recommend the Pro versions as they have a better CPU, video card and helpfully a better battery.

Return to “General Discussion”