Will iOS 64 Bit Support come for iOS 11?

Moderator: Slitherine Core

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: The "slow down your ipad message" for 32 bit apps

Post by VPaulus »

triari wrote: Does the same go for Commander The Great War?
I'm afraid so.
Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

When is the 64 iOS update to Commander The Great War?

Post by Emoni »

Paid plenty for the iOS version to support this great game, but now I can’t even play it. Every other game generally has been updated appropriately (and most other games by other companies) but not this one yet. A bit concerned.

What's going on with this game?
Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: The "slow down your ipad message" for 32 bit apps

Post by Emoni »

IainMcNeil wrote:HI guys,

the game would run on iPad for ever unless apple prevents. if you have any concerns about that then please direct them to Apple as there is absolutely nothing we can do about it unfortunately. There is no technical reason a 32 bit app wont run on a 64 bit device, unless the OS prevents it. The problem is Apple look like they will prevent it. We dont have any way to refund purchases. Only Apple can. There simply is nothing we can do about this. Sorry!

Thanks
Wow, this is completely unacceptable. You have just lost a longtime customer who actively sought out and paid full price for your iOS versions of several games that no longer function. If you are going to take this approach, at least assist your customer with refunds or do something to update YOUR software.

I’m annoyed as hell with Apple and this move, yes. However, I am also completely and utterly disappointed with Slitherine if this is their approach to software support.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: When is the 64 iOS update to Commander The Great War?

Post by zakblood »

please read the latest and most up to date information on IOS

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=76866
Emoni
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Emoni »

zakblood_slith wrote:please read the latest and most up to date information on IOS

I believe I read this already, unfortunately. Pretty unacceptable considering there was notice of the 32bit to 64bit switch for years now. Deeply disappointed and feeling betrayed as a longtime customer of Slitherine and will NOT be forgetting this. I am not excusing the poor choice by Apple, but on the Dev side, this could have been handled.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Emoni wrote:
zakblood_slith wrote:please read the latest and most up to date information on IOS

I believe I read this already, unfortunately. Pretty unacceptable considering there was notice of the 32bit to 64bit switch for years now. Deeply disappointed and feeling betrayed as a longtime customer of Slitherine and will NOT be forgetting this. I am not excusing the poor choice by Apple, but on the Dev side, this could have been handled.
Notice is not the issue. Being expected to put everything else on hold, rewrite large chunks of a codebase, remaster+retest+deploy more than a dozen SKUs. Many man-months (if not -years) of work, all because Apple decided to pull support.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Notice is not the issue. Being expected to put everything else on hold, rewrite large chunks of a codebase, remaster+retest+deploy more than a dozen SKUs. Many man-months (if not -years) of work, all because Apple decided to pull support.

Cheers

Pip
There's really two types of developers out there.

1) Those who take great pride in their software and always update it for the latest tech. They follow best practices coding in native environments so its always easy for them to add in support for new APIs or recompile for a new processor architecture. Starcraft has been kept fresh since 1998 (large company) and Nanosaur as well (small company), so being great isn't always about size or money but attitude. All I had to do to make my app 64 bit was download the latest Xcode and hit build.
2) Those who release something, get the bulk of the money, then walk away (e.g. Panzer Corps for Mac which got updated exactly once and is still full of bugs). Since they don't keep things updated their apps seem more and more out of place as time goes on. They get buggy. These guys don't program natively but instead use cross platform tools that lower everything to the lowest common denominator. You won't see these guys use Apple's great new tech like Swift, Metal, or SpriteKit until 10 years later when everyone has an equivalent.

Apple does things like cut 32 bit support which makes the devs in category 2 suffer. Some of them will walk away from their product, as Slitherine has, but others will give in and start acting more like category 1. They'll start using native languages and APIs not because they want to, but because they've learned that if they take the easy road Apple will burn them at some point. I've seen so many things updated recently for the first time in 5 years and as a user it's wonderful! As a user I want Apple to pressure developers to be the best they can be. If that pressure makes 5 mediocre developers step up their game but makes 1 walk away, I consider that a huge win. With a million iOS apps out there, I don't need quantity, I need quality, and Apple is forcing developers to create quality even if what they really want is to make a quick buck on a lousy port of their Windows game.

So that's why people aren't mad at Apple, they're mad at the people who couldn't find time between 2013 and today to update their app because that would be a lot of work because the app was made with lowest common denominator tools that themselves aren't updated and so on, so forth.
JagdTiger700
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Will iOS 64 Bit Support come for iOS 11?

Post by JagdTiger700 »

CarlVS wrote:
JagdTiger700 wrote: The future is portable systems which are not tethered and don’t need a specific monitor/television to use like desktops/video game systems and can be used while not plugged in using up electricity unless recharging...they just need controller attachments and the iPad has one but can’t be used while a case is on, they could possibly design one.
As soon as you can do something of the complexity level of War in the East / West / Pacific on an iPad, then we can talk about how it is the "future" of computer war-gaming... :mrgreen:
The game civilization 6 came out for iPad in its entire format, those games can be done too, desktops non technically are obsolete (the future computers will be portable and perhaps contain (already done) built in projectors with 150inch screen sizes) and the ability to not be tethered will be a important feature.
Last edited by JagdTiger700 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

proline wrote:
pipfromslitherine wrote:Notice is not the issue. Being expected to put everything else on hold, rewrite large chunks of a codebase, remaster+retest+deploy more than a dozen SKUs. Many man-months (if not -years) of work, all because Apple decided to pull support.

Cheers

Pip
There's really two types of developers out there.

1) Those who take great pride in their software and always update it for the latest tech. They follow best practices coding in native environments so its always easy for them to add in support for new APIs or recompile for a new processor architecture. Starcraft has been kept fresh since 1998 (large company) and Nanosaur as well (small company), so being great isn't always about size or money but attitude. All I had to do to make my app 64 bit was download the latest Xcode and hit build.
2) Those who release something, get the bulk of the money, then walk away (e.g. Panzer Corps for Mac which got updated exactly once and is still full of bugs). Since they don't keep things updated their apps seem more and more out of place as time goes on. They get buggy. These guys don't program natively but instead use cross platform tools that lower everything to the lowest common denominator. You won't see these guys use Apple's great new tech like Swift, Metal, or SpriteKit until 10 years later when everyone has an equivalent.

Apple does things like cut 32 bit support which makes the devs in category 2 suffer. Some of them will walk away from their product, as Slitherine has, but others will give in and start acting more like category 1. They'll start using native languages and APIs not because they want to, but because they've learned that if they take the easy road Apple will burn them at some point. I've seen so many things updated recently for the first time in 5 years and as a user it's wonderful! As a user I want Apple to pressure developers to be the best they can be. If that pressure makes 5 mediocre developers step up their game but makes 1 walk away, I consider that a huge win. With a million iOS apps out there, I don't need quantity, I need quality, and Apple is forcing developers to create quality even if what they really want is to make a quick buck on a lousy port of their Windows game.

So that's why people aren't mad at Apple, they're mad at the people who couldn't find time between 2013 and today to update their app because that would be a lot of work because the app was made with lowest common denominator tools that themselves aren't updated and so on, so forth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atDXtvo6hIg

I'm not going to debate how getting BA to run on an iPad 1 (and crossplay seamlessly with 2 other platforms) wouldn't have happened using "best practices". But keep on telling us how crappy we are. It will certainly reignite our enthusiasm for the iOS platform...

Cheers

Pip
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

After soaking all this in over time, I'm not too surprised about Slitherine's stance.

IOS = Many platform headaches - difficulties in making good profits in a freemium dominated market.

Consoles = less platform headaches - greater opportunity for profit on each game.

On the other hand, we see IOS success stories not only from high profile products such as XCOM and Rome Total War but also from small, indie type developers like the Trese Brothers who have only 2 or 3 people in the company.

As it stands, I only visit and pay attention to Slitherine occasionally these days.

Not because I'm mad or I'm being spiteful but because my personal circumstances makes mobile gaming much more convenient and suitable for my recreation time - and Slitherine does not seem to be making any moves to make their products Windows Surface device friendly etc ...

So - what happens in such cases? They go their way - I look for other vendors, wish them well and stop in every once in a while to see if they dip back into the Mobile market with something interesting ....
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
JagdTiger700
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by JagdTiger700 »

DonCzirr wrote:After soaking all this in over time, I'm not too surprised about Slitherine's stance.

IOS = Many platform headaches - difficulties in making good profits in a freemium dominated market.

Consoles = less platform headaches - greater opportunity for profit on each game.

On the other hand, we see IOS success stories not only from high profile products such as XCOM and Rome Total War but also from small, indie type developers like the Trese Brothers who have only 2 or 3 people in the company.

As it stands, I only visit and pay attention to Slitherine occasionally these days.

Not because I'm mad or I'm being spiteful but because my personal circumstances makes mobile gaming much more convenient and suitable for my recreation time - and Slitherine does not seem to be making any moves to make their products Windows Surface device friendly etc ...

It is more than possible portables will be the future of computing because the tablets are mobile and can be taken to a cabin near the beach or woods and some can play their games

So - what happens in such cases? They go their way - I look for other vendors, wish them well and stop in every once in a while to see if they dip back into the Mobile market with something interesting ....
It is more than possible portables will be the future of computing because the tablets can be taken to a cabin near the beach or woods near the lake and then play some games.

The Nintendo switch is doing great because it is a portable and now the best selling system they have and of course is able to have games like Skyrim and Wolfenstein...these games can be done on iPad because it’s tech is even better...perhaps the devs are not looking at tablets like that and so cannot analyze the future of these systems and what they can do.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I don't think the iPAD's technical capabilities were ever in question.

The issue is around Apple's policies.

I often find their stance on policies to be dismissive of the concerns of both customers and developers.

In comparison, I can still go to GOG and play Windows games that were developed back in the 80s.

To do so, I sometimes need to fiddle with compatibility settings and some crashes - but still I have the option. They just don't disappear.

Apple comes in and just eliminates hordes of Apps ? Why can't they let them stay available and customers / devs can cope like with Windows? I believe it is to drive the sales for their newer devices.

Also - it seems that Slitherine is not alone in their marketing shift away from IOS. Other respected publishers are leaving as well:

http://toucharcade.com/2017/12/11/simog ... -of-mobile

So, my overall opinion is that I am not happy with Apple from a policy perspective but have found their devices to be very good in terms of running significant games such as Commander the Great War, Pike and Shot, Rome Total War etc ...

Good technology + really bad management - makes for a very "uneven" customer experience ...

Let's hope the Apple tech teams launch a successful coup of Apple management in the near future and bring their wisdom to the policy making arm as well :wink:
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

just my opinion and another reason why i have nothing from them either, or no axe to grind,....

Apple's policies, seems like there prices and loyalty to it's users seems to be all about money and making everyone buy new stuff / tech all the time, instead of supporting and making older tech work for longer,.

they lied about slowing older devices down,. aka batteries etc

Code: Select all

http://www.zdnet.com/article/batterygate-apple-betrayed-its-customers-and-now-it-faces-a-world-of-hurt/

http://bgr.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-case-needed-drop-test-oof/

they lied again on saying they stuff wasn't effected by, well anything that's effects a pc,. and in the end had to patch it's just the same, as in reality it's a pc under the hood with a different O/S only,..

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/900500/Apple-bug-Meltdown-Spectre-security-flaw-Mac-iPhone-iPad-intel-chip-macOS
and now the same for 32bit, they could have kept it going, but didn't want to, end of,...
On the multiple occasions over the years where Apple has done something to attract negative attention from the press, their fanbase is always ready to defend.
goto love fanboys, pay a premium rate and can't see anything wrong in anything apple, so don't mention any fruit, as there not all the same it seems,....

love them, hate them, it matters little, if you don't like it, eg the end of 32bit support, tell them

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/01/64-bit-mac-apps/
and for all those who think it's only some or a few who aren't updating there older 32bit versions

https://www.fastcompany.com/40453643/what-the-end-of-32-bit-support-in-ios-11-really-means
read and weep,.....
But based on data from app analytics firm Appfigures, anywhere from 2% to 19% of the App Store catalog could still be incompatible with Apple’s next software update.

The stragglers include roughly 45,000 apps that haven’t been updated since May 2012, when Apple started supporting 64-bit iOS software. An additional 425,000 apps haven’t been updated since June 2015, when Apple started requiring all new apps and app updates to include 64-bit support. That adds up to 470,000 apps at risk; as for the quantity that won’t ever go 64-bit, “I’d make an educated guess and place the number at around 200,000 to 250,000 apps, based on upgrade patterns,” says Ariel Michaeli, Appfigures’ founder and CEO.

From the data alone, it’s hard to find notable examples of apps that are going away. Michaeli says that around 30% of the 470,000 apps he looked at are games, the most popular of which have either been replaced by newer versions or are mere copycats that piggybacked their way to brief App Store success. And in a list of 75 outdated apps with at least at least 100,000 user ratings, only one–Epic Games’ original Infinity Blade–caught my eye as a profound loss. (Epic did not respond to a request for comment.)
garryjoshi
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Encountering Error with BA2 on iOS 11.2.2

Post by garryjoshi »

I've been playing BA2 for a long time now. It was working just smooth when my iPad was running iOS 10 however today that I updated to iOS 11.2.2 whenever I am trying to open the game it is only loading a white blank screen on it's startup and simply closing itself after few seconds. Can anyone please help me fix it??

--
Garry Joshi
TutuApp ShowBox TutuApp
Last edited by garryjoshi on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Encountering Error with BA2 on iOS 11.2.2

Apple removed support for the game (and all 32-bit apps) in iOS11 unfortunately.

Cheers

Pip
garryjoshi

Post by garryjoshi »

Pip, regardless Apple discontinuing the support for 32 bit apps you guys should really consider updating the BA2 game for I am a big fan of this game and would love to play for more long. Just don't give up on this project guys! I request you.

Return to “General Discussion”