Summer Plans

Moderator: Slitherine Core

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Summer Plans

Post by MrsWargamer »

Yeah Spring has just barely gotten here I know :)

But summer to me is basically hot hot hot and the days are longer and harder to fill with anything that is not a means to end up hotter and sweaty.

I'm looking forward to my first summer ever where I have both a tablet to entertain me, and three great wargames to use on it (should I find myself not wishing to use my laptop). Panzer Corps, Battle Academy and Team Assault (not necessarily in that order).

I have managed to obtain many wargames since 1997, and I am ok with saying the above 3 likely out do anything else I have bought in the years between. And as I am a long time grog veteran wargamer from the days of Tactics II and through Squad Leader and Third Reich, I know a real wargame when I see it, and I recognize the difference between detail for details sake and something actually fun to play. For instance, Squad Leader (back when that was all you had the first box) remains all this time, BETTER remembered than all of my expensive ASL goodies. A3R has NOT been since outdone by the likes of Gary Grigsby's War in the East (regardless of the fanboys who sound too much like Apple nerds to be honest).

I STILL year for a day when I can set up A3R or some ASL in my hobby room (and might yet do it), but on a hot day, it is nicer to just crash in the lazyboy and play a wargame not quite so mentally demanding (some might not know this, but it is a proven fact, extreme mental effort WILL generate as much of a work out as some time in the gym). The thing is, on a hot day, I do NOT necessarily want a work out. Which is not to suggest that my above 3 choices require no brains. But you won't be exhausted from defacto pushing as many counters around as you would in a defacto 'monster board game'. Gary Grigsby's War in the East, basically the same as playing Europa Fire in the East, not my first choice on a hot summer afternoon. That's a game for a more comfortable day in the fall or winter when having the windows closed (to prevent wind effects on your game eh), will not be a problem.

I am pleased to say I am steadily dropping a bit o the excess waist from my daily walkings to the Tim Horton's of choice (one that is far enough of a walk to be able to be called a walk worth mention), and I look forward to taking the laptop there in the cool air of the middle of the night (best time in the summer eh), and playing a few turns when the store will be hardly too busy.

I have no dreams of vacation, but then, I have been effectively retired since 94, I have no real use for a 'vacation' per se, nothing to be escaping from. All I have to avoid, is the heat of the day. Not normally a problem though as my place enjoys plenty of A/C. But being cooped up in it seemingly 'trapped' indoors is to me, the same as what a lot normally refer to as the February blahs (from being cooped up all winter from the cold, something I don't suffer from as I LIKE the cold).

I know of no emminent game releases due out before the end of summer (other than maybe something to add to my above trio). I'd be surprised if fate actually had any wargames in the pipeline that even deserve to stand next to my above three titles. And as it goes, I have a lot of runner up titles in 4th place. Gary Grigsby's War in the East is on that list somewhere. Likely in the top 25 eventually :)
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Re: Summer Plans

Post by junk2drive »

I don't drink anymore but beer is supposed to help

http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/news/ ... Q.facebook
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Heheh ok but I think I will take a pass on spreading that notion around. I prefer suggesting a single beer a day is good for healthy digestion. A SINGLE beer that is guys.

It is also known a single glass of wine is benefitial. Just ONE glass guys.
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Do you mean just one glas at a time till you finish the bottle :-)
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

No, JD, he means one glass the same size as the bottle - wonderful for conditioning and tone...
aloedrink
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by aloedrink »

I will store a lot of aloe vera juice from okyalo in the fridge in summer, it will be more tasty if you keep it in the refrigerator.
Onlyzen12

Post by Onlyzen12 »

aloedrink wrote:I will store a lot of aloe vera juice from okyalo in the fridge in summer, it will be more tasty if you keep it in the refrigerator.
Yeh! I actually use aloe vera juice for my Moisturize dry skin in summer

Return to “General Discussion”